Wgtlib on the fly?

Started by
7 comments, last by Gary 24 years, 4 months ago
Check the source for landscape studio. It has code for adding files when it creates a new project. I think there may be a bug in that however.

Also the source for wgtlib was released (under products, free source). It was written in Pascal a long time ago, but reveals everything about the format.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
Advertisement
Ah, wgtlib. Brings back memories. I actually registered that stuff way back when (early 90's). Egerter brothers, right?

Cya,
Dave

The scary thing is, wgtlib was written in 1992 and I'm still using it
I'm going to work on a person windows utility version of the wgtlib program.

I've already added support for drag and drop adding of files and a couple other features.

I'll release the program when it's complete, if anyone wants a copy. I just started it yesterday, so I'm not sure of any etr.

The wgtlib files arn't secure but they're simple in design which makes them usefull.

Chris, what's the point of the password anyway. In making my program it's rather apparent that the password doesn't really have anything to do with the file data, which means it's irrelevant if the utility manipulating the lib just ignores it. It's also trivial to decode the password anyway.
I plan on adding it to my utility though, just for good measure.

Have you ever considered adding a new format into power render? I usually use the libs because power render's already simplified the loading from them.

BTW: What was the intended purpose of the status variable? The code says it currently has no purpose, but why did you add it in the first place.

Gary

[This message has been edited by Gary (edited November 23, 1999).]

Hi,
Sounds great, I was considering writing a win version of wgtlib myself, as I can see the immense usefullness of it.
Another option to consider is an edit button if possible that would load any text files into a standard rtf type editor, and save straight back to the file. Great for creating CHRs.
PS If you need a Beta tester!

Cheers
Darrin

The password was useful before anyone had access to the source code for wgtlib.

The status field was there for any kind of flag you wanted to store along with the file, maybe original permissions or something.

Chris

Good idea about the editor.

I've not really worked with rtf editing before though, so I probibly wont be adding an editor that interfaces directly to the libs.

On an upnote, though, updating and adding files is as easy as draging the icon over the program window. So editing a text file and updating it should take very little time.

Gary

How would one create and write to the type of files that the wgtlib program creates?

I know how to read from them, but I need to know how to create them from within my own programs.

Gary

[This message has been edited by Gary (edited November 19, 1999).]

Hi Gary,
Not a problem about the RTF Editor, I thought after my post that as you could just drag and drop, it wouldn't really be that necessary, and this way, users can use their own choice of editing programs.

Looking forward to this in eager anticipation.

Cheers
Darrin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement