Multiplayer with a storyline?

Started by
16 comments, last by Impossible 22 years, 8 months ago
Multiplayer can certainly have a storyline, but as with any ''write once, run once'' content, it gets harder to make enough of it as the number of players increase. The phrase "A good enough quest generator" sums it up: it''s still proving next to impossible to come up with a good enough quest generator. I am working on it, though
Advertisement
Well yes, there is one i played is called "Diablo 2"(as well as Diablo 1) on PC that allow you play multplayer with storyline in it...
Hey Guys

When I started to write my CRPG I thought it would be nice to make the Multiplayer version a la Dungeons and Dragons, having a Dungeon Master (in this case a Game Master) that would like in pen and paper RPG write a story, make maps and all that, then this Game master would host his game in a Game server, and up to 4 or 5 players would be able to play with him, and his story, the Game master would play the parts of NPC''s, and enemies, and would control the game, the problem is that what if you want to play and there is no Game Master? then I thought there could be Bot GM''s running pre written stories, keeping still the option of having a Human GM, I dont know if it was such a good idea, since the GM would have to deal with Game scripting and all the duties of a Game Designer, so now I am thinking about just making the Multiplayer Game a Shared version of the single player mode where you play just another citizen with no relationship to the Hero in the Single Player mode.

anyway, I am telling you this so you might get better Ideas and post them up!!!
Two double digit threads in a row! I''m on fire . The game master idea should work out well (I''ve never played Vampire, but I can''t wait until NWN), but isn''t a standard single player RPG basically a game with a "Bot GM"? Maybe bot GMs could act more like GMs and less like a predefined story and react to the players like an all knowing, all powerful enemy\NPC helper. Maybe something like the god AI in Black and White, except the players become the little villagers (per se). It would of course be on a much more personal and detailed scale (the players, or "villagers" becoming the focus instead of a resource), but it a good comparison. Pretty good suggestion, designing a game this way would work well for single player and multiplayer games. Any more ideas?
Hey! I''ve got this great multiplayer idea! See, there are two teams, lets say Red And Blue, though there are a ton of different ways of describing them....and....lets say that both teams have this thing....umm....a FLAG! Yeah, a flag. And you have to STEAL the other team''s flag and take it back to your own while they do the same to you! It''d be great! What a storyline!
//End Sarcastic Humor//

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
"Doubt Everything. Find your own light." -Dying words of Gautama
//BLATANT PLUG
My manic new web journal! Warning: Some ''adult'' language used, not suitable for anyone without a sense of deep-thought and cynicism
And you''re a moderator?
*wince*

But seriously, there are loads of ways to make a storyline happen within an online game community. But you must keep a few things in mind:

- Your options for storyline are limited to just beyond the capabilities of the physical game engine. Players will use their imagination to push limitations of the game engine (roleplaying MUDs, anyone?) only so far before they become 'bored' and resort to using the actual game engine for entertainment.

- Players like administrators to 'play' with them. When I admin'd a privately-owned UO shard, we often ran quests for players in the form of character interaction that did not require or involve combat or other limitations of the game software. Instead, we introduced and enjoyed interaction based on intrigue, or comedy, or small amounts of action mixed with the above (for example). It got the community involved; some players were the good guys, some were the bad guys, but everyone had fun on a roleplayed level... there were little to no ego competitions that are found in other game genres (FPS, RTS, etc) because players wanted to immerse in a realistic fantasy setting (no, that's not an oxymoron ). But automating the 'quest' system is likely impossible, because you may only introduce so many "save the princess", "retrieve the chalice", "kill the monster" 'quests' before things become boring.

- Admins need to introduce new things to users often, or else they become bored. This isn't to say there are a few players who will create their own fun times because they want to contribute to the community, but keep in mind that players may be looking for thrills or features or new additions often.

- Know your target audience. If you are designing an action game, make sure that you include things that make action games fun (mainly, customizability and realism). If you are designing a roleplaying game, include things that make RPGs fun (anything to do with evolving a societal model). Mixing the two is possible, but remember that driving one player-type away is also possible if too much of the other type of player saturates the user-base.

And that's all I have to say about that...

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.org

Edited by - MatrixCubed on August 11, 2001 11:19:06 AM
About MMORPG...

Having a storyline is pretty simple with those games. Just encourage a restricted PvP.
Something like a 3 region permanent war for the control of the land. Players own towns for one of the 3 provinces and when they get a new town their province is greater.
I know this is not a storyline its much like a CTF but let me explain my point.
In an action games the most interesting thing after the gameplay is the storyline, unfortunately when it comes to multiplayer the storyline disappear.
Instead in a roleplaying game the most important is the freedom of your character AND the "freewill" of the worls itself. So a storyLINE in MMORPG just make the game more annoying because u have thousands of free player in a world where the story is already written.
So here we go whats he most important is to let people create thei own storyline by their imagination and the immersive sensations they have.
For instance I am actually playing Everquest on the new Server Sullon Zek, its a deitywar with 3 deities groups (Evil-neutral-good) and well player, some at least are trying to have a real storyline. For instance as a member of the good team I am stuck in the northern part of the world and we are working on getting alliances with neutrals to balance the power of Evil. And trust me thats an amazing starting ground for a good tale.
Let just the people be able to "really" own land and the story can evolve (i.e. Evils eradicate all good cities and just let the server restart). But I repeat the most important is freedom and players imaginatin in a MMORPG.

Well I hope I am not too confusing I know my english is bad. Let me know what u think.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement