Major DirectX 8 problem

Started by
17 comments, last by sflare 22 years, 8 months ago
i have tried using different voltages also for the cpu (it was at 3.3v) and still the same.

the clue to this problem must have something to do with the fact that directx 7 works fine (rune plays well) and that anything that uses direct3d from directx 8 breaks the computer.

I still need more help
Advertisement
I have the same problem. I have a TNT2 M64 and a VIA chipset and I had problems with Win2000 in almost every game. I also had problems with Win Me and Win 98 SE. Now I have Win 98 again and I continue to have problems in some games, especialy in EASports games (Fifa2001 and NHL2001).
I have the latest drivers for all my hardware.
More input, please

Could the order of the installation be a problem?

By that I mean is there a certain order to install thing?
Like chipset,then service pack, then directX8, then video driver
(that''s the order that seems the most correct to me)
You might want to try turning off AGP 4X in your system''s BIOS and see if that stops the crashing.

I was using a VIA based motherboard with a GeForce 2 for a while and it worked great as long as AGP 4X wasn''t enabled. If it was, the system would crash often when doing any rendering that might use AGP 4X.

This was actually fixed though by installing updated VIA drivers (they werent available when I first had the problem but have been out for close to a year by now)...And I was able to reenable 4X without crashes. I don''t recall the exact order of installation but I think it was Windows 2000, nvidia driver, via driver upgrades, newer nvidia driver, sp2, and it was all working great.

I''d be weary of falling back to 98 or Me. Windows 2000 is far more stable than either of these operating systems, despite what some people might say. The real issue is that Windows 2000 drivers can be less mature than those for 98/Me because they haven''t been around as long. However, in my experience the driver issues are a thing of the past... I''ve been running Win2k on 3 machines now happily for nearly a year. Only crash I''ve had was when I installed some buggy Gravis joystick drivers on one of the systems, but removing those drivers fixed everything and I''ve been totally crash free and these systems are used heavily for software development. Its really nice to be able to recover from a crash in a program that is running DirectX in fullscreen mode...Try that on a 98/Me box.

I'm having a problem just like this, although I have no idea if it's only in D3D. I run a program using 3D gfx, and after a short time the system freezes. The (ATX) power button will not shut down the computer, cntrl-alt-delete won't pull up the task manager, and I have to use the hard reset or the main power switch. I went back to '98 to fix the problem, but I'd still like to get 2000 going, since I like the OS better.

I was convinced it was a motherboard problem, but having gone through 2 motherboards with this same problem - an ABIT/VIA and a SOYO/ALI - I'm no longer certain. I've tried everything, and I mean everything to fix this problem. Switched out all my cards for different ones, tried a dizzying array of drivers for everything, new HD, replaced CPU, clean install of windows, update (or no update) of the microsoft critical updates and service packs, so on and etcetera.

"Two wrongs do not make a right; it usually takes 3 or more."

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Never anger a dragon, for you are crunchy and you go well with brie.

Edited by - ratheous on August 3, 2001 3:40:42 PM

Does anyone know if Direct3D (for directx8) will heat up a video card (such as my tnt2 m64) far more than openGL ever would?

What kind of temperatures should my video card be running in?
My system temp. gets to 44C at times. Is this bad?
what configuration of memory are you using? i have 2 x 128MB, and 1 x 256MB ... my system would crash until i swapped them around - this didn''t happen under 98, only under 2k.
I have 128MB(133mhz) on slot 1. That''s it.

Well I guess this problem will never be fixed.
I give up. I''ll just have to stop programming on directx and learn to use opengl.

I want to say thanks to all that have left a message here or anywhere.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement