Major DirectX 8 problem

Started by
17 comments, last by sflare 22 years, 8 months ago
any program that uses directX 8, will randomly crash my computer and cause it to not work for a long time. I thought it might me overheating, but then openGL would do that too (which it doesn''t) I have a tnt2 m64,via ms-6330 motherboard and win2k i have tried all the various video drivers,motherboard chipsets, and have service pack 2 for win2k. I have also tried directX 8.0a and still the same I have even reinstalled windows mant times Anyone help, this is really annoying!
Advertisement
Try reseating your video card, CPU, and memory.
Otherwise it maybe a result of CPU over-clocking, lower the speed and see if that fixes it. Your video card may also be faulty, try another one.

Does your system board have a non-intel chipset? If so, you may need to install AGP Gart drivers to make AGP transfers more stable. Download them from your Video card manufacturers site.

If all else fails, maybe its a Win2000 problem, try WinME or 98Se.

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

If its not too out of your way you should try pulling back to windows 98 its much more stable. If that dosn''t work then you got some kind of low level system problem and technicly speaking you''re SOL, better prepare to set your computer on fire.
It''s prbly those three little letters V I A . In my experience via chipsets are very picky about what they run. A tnt2 is rock solid, as is win2k. That is assuming you have the latest drivers for EVERYTHING. Thats including your mobo, sound, and anything else you can think of.
I''m running Windows 2000 with an Elsa Synergy-II (TNT2) on my Asus CUBX board, which uses an Intel chipset - and it''s far more stable than my Windows 98/SE box. I faintly recall something about problems with NVidia graphics cards and VIA chipsets, make sure you have the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers for Win2K installed, that _might_ help things out if that''s your problem.

You also say that OpenGL doesn''t cause this problem, that''s interesting.. what OpenGL functionality are you using, compared to DirectX functionality? It might not be your graphics card...
I''m running Windows 2000 with an Elsa Synergy-II (TNT2) on my Asus CUBX board, which uses an Intel chipset - and it''s far more stable than my Windows 98/SE box. I faintly recall something about problems with NVidia graphics cards and VIA chipsets, make sure you have the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers for Win2K installed, that _might_ help things out if that''s your problem.

You also say that OpenGL doesn''t cause this problem, that''s interesting.. what OpenGL functionality are you using, compared to DirectX functionality? It might not be your graphics card...
Thanks for the reply everyone,

Well,
i don''t overclock my athlon 800
i use the same basic features for OpenGL as DirectX
i can''t try another OS, i only have one (isn''t win2k stable?)
i have the tried very latest drivers for everything
i don''t have any other video cards to test either

I really don''t "think" it''s a software problem,
maybe the video card is broken and i just need a new one,
but why is openGL fine. 3D is 3D.

I even coded a simple 3d program (using directX 8),
which just draws a single 3d model on the screen
with the lowest of the low features (no texture,low poly count)
and still the same problem

perhaps it''s the fact that i just have bad luck
and directX is not playing nice

if some more suggestions are available, please continue to help out.
I had the same problem a few months ago with my computer that uses a VIA chipset. It was working fine until I upgraded the hard drive, then all the graphic-heavy games/apps started freezintg left and right. I thought it was the hard drive, but it was actually the VIA drivers. WHen I reinstalled WinME, I forgot to reinstall the latest VIA 4in1 drivers. Once I had those bad boys upgraded, everything worked perfectly. I also upgraded to the latest nVidia detonator drivers, but the VIA 4in1 is what made is 500% more stable for me. I just did a Yahoo search for "VIA 4in1" and it came up with a lot of downloads. Just pick one from a reliable source to prevent viruses. =)
I have tried the newest via 4in1 drivers and it doesn''t help at all.

I should also know that when i install the newest nvidia drivers
(12.41), ALL graphic functionality(DX && OpenGL) decides to not work while freezing the computer up.
this is not good but it is kind of better than a totally computer break as described before
i''ve seen this problem twice beofore.

once it was a faulty voltage regulator on the mainboard, the vcard didn''t like 3d mode at 6.5v.

the other time it was caused by an older hcf modem. with an hcf modem, the modem chipset is mostly software and the drivers crashed the system during d3d locks.

probably won''t help, but doublecheck your mainboard voltages and try pulling out extraneous add-in cards.
eilenbeb@adninternet.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement