CVA Problems

Started by
4 comments, last by Julio 22 years, 8 months ago
I'm trying to implement compiled vertex arrays in my engine. my first attempt failed, and my second attempt won't even run. I've borrowed initialization code from glVelocity, and when I get it working I plan on rewriting it. anyways, the cva's won't initialize. my hardware Geforce 256) has the correct extension and is capable of cva's. is there anything wrong in the code?

GLLOCKARRAYSEXTPROC m_glLockArraysEXT	= 0;
GLUNLOCKARRAYSEXTPROC m_glUnlockArraysEXT	= 0;
GLARRAYELEMENTEXTPROC m_glArrayElementEXT	= 0;
GLCOLORPOINTEREXTPROC m_glColorPointerEXT	= 0;
GLDRAWARRAYSEXTPROC m_glDrawArraysEXT	= 0;
GLEDGEFLAGPOINTEREXTPROC m_glEdgeFlagPointerEXT= 0;
GLGETPOINTERVEXTPROC m_glGetPointervEXT= 0;
GLINDEXPOINTEREXTPROC m_glIndexPointerEXT	= 0;
GLNORMALPOINTEREXTPROC m_glNormalPointerEXT= 0;
GLTEXCOORDPOINTEREXTPROC m_glTexCoordPointerEXT= 0;
GLVERTEXPOINTEREXTPROC m_glVertexPointerEXT= 0;
GLCLIENTACTIVETEXTUREARBPROC m_glClientActiveTextureARB = 0;

and the initialization:

m_glArrayElementEXT = (GLARRAYELEMENTEXTPROC) 
		wglGetProcAddress("glArrayElementEXT");
	m_glColorPointerEXT = (GLCOLORPOINTEREXTPROC) 
		wglGetProcAddress("glColorPointerEXT");
	m_glDrawArraysEXT = (GLDRAWARRAYSEXTPROC) 
		wglGetProcAddress("glDrawArraysEXT");
	m_glEdgeFlagPointerEXT = (GLEDGEFLAGPOINTEREXTPROC) 
		wglGetProcAddress("glEdgeFlagPointerEXT");
	m_glGetPointervEXT = (GLGETPOINTERVEXTPROC) 
		wglGetProcAddress("glGetPointervEXT");
	m_glIndexPointerEXT = (GLINDEXPOINTEREXTPROC) 
		wglGetProcAddress("glIndexPointerEXT");
	m_glNormalPointerEXT = (GLNORMALPOINTEREXTPROC) 
		wglGetProcAddress("glNormalPointerEXT");
	m_glTexCoordPointerEXT = (GLTEXCOORDPOINTEREXTPROC) 
		wglGetProcAddress("glTexCoordPointerEXT");
	m_glVertexPointerEXT = (GLVERTEXPOINTEREXTPROC) 
		wglGetProcAddress("glVertexPointerEXT");

if (m_glArrayElementEXT  == 0 || m_glColorPointerEXT    == 0 || //here is returns false, everything is 0

m_glDrawArraysEXT    == 0 || m_glEdgeFlagPointerEXT == 0 ||
		m_glGetPointervEXT   == 0 || m_glIndexPointerEXT    == 0 ||
		m_glNormalPointerEXT == 0 || m_glTexCoordPointerEXT == 0 ||
		m_glVertexPointerEXT == 0)
	{
		return false;
	}

m_glLockArraysEXT = (GLLOCKARRAYSEXTPROC) 
		wglGetProcAddress("glLockArraysEXT");
	m_glUnlockArraysEXT = (GLUNLOCKARRAYSEXTPROC) 
		wglGetProcAddress("glUnlockArraysEXT");

if (m_glLockArraysEXT == 0 || m_glUnlockArraysEXT == 0)
		return false;

m_glClientActiveTextureARB = (GLACTIVETEXTUREARBPROC) 
		wglGetProcAddress("glClientActiveTextureARB");

if (m_glClientActiveTextureARB == 0)
		return false;

return true;

Everything compiles fine. yes, I have glext.h linked to it. if anybody might know what's wrong that'd be great. thanks, Joe Never underestimante the power of stupid people in large groups. Edited by - Julio on July 30, 2001 9:40:09 PM
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Advertisement
Almost all of the functions is already a part of OpenGL 1.1 so no need to get the addresses. You are using prototypes like
GLLOCKARRAYSEXTPROC m_glLockArraysEXT = 0;
but my glext.h would like
PFNGLLOCKARRAYSEXTPROC m_glLockArraysEXT =0;

In the last one are you using (GLACTIVETEXTUREARBPROC) with wglGetProcAddress("glClientActiveTextureARB") but probably meant wglGetProcAddress("glActiveTextureARB").

well, all of those are defined in glext.h. why don''t I need to get the proc address? could you explain more?
thanks,
Joe

Never underestimante the power of stupid people in large groups.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
nevermind. I think I see what you''re saying. I found a great tutorial on this. I doesn''t look like it has to be that hard. I think I''m just going to rewrite all of the code.

ok, I rewrote the code just to get something to show on the screen. this is my code:
      bool CVertexArray::Init(){	glLockArraysEXT		= (PFNGLLOCKARRAYSEXTPROC)		wglGetProcAddress("glLockArraysEXT");	glUnlockArraysEXT	= (PFNGLUNLOCKARRAYSEXTPROC)	wglGetProcAddress("glUnlockArraysEXT");	if(glLockArraysEXT == NULL  ||  glUnlockArraysEXT == NULL)	{		return false;	}		return true;}    

and the render:
     void CVertexArray::Render(float *pIndicies, float *pTexCoords, unsigned int iVertexCount){	glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);	glEnableClientState(GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY);	glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, 0, pIndicies);	glTexCoordPointer(2, GL_FLOAT, 0, pTexCoords);	glLockArraysEXT(0, iVertexCount);	// Render	glDrawArrays(GL_TRIANGLES, 0, 3);	glDisableClientState(GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY);	glUnlockArraysEXT();}    

I plan on getting rid of redundand state changes later, but for now I just want it to work. The problem is that in the initialization both glLockArraysEXT and glUnlockArraysEXT are 0, NULL. WHY? It works fine in other programs I run. At the top of my class .cpp file I declare them:
  typedef void (APIENTRY *PFNGLLOCKARRAYSEXTPROC) (int first, int count);typedef void (APIENTRY *PFNGLUNLOCKARRAYSEXTPROC) (void);PFNGLLOCKARRAYSEXTPROC		glLockArraysEXT		= NULL;PFNGLUNLOCKARRAYSEXTPROC	glUnlockArraysEXT	= NULL;      

thanks,
Joe

Edited by - Julio on August 1, 2001 1:40:47 PM

Edited by - Julio on August 1, 2001 1:42:02 PM
You should have a current OpenGL rendering context before calling wglGetProcAddress. Here is all about OpenGL extensions
http://www.opengl.org/developers/code/features/OGLextensions/OGLextensions.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement