Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cbeek

Garage Developers International comments

I am considering submitting a side-scrolling platform game to garage developers international. has anyone worked with this company? I would love to hear more about them. any information will be greatly appreciated. thank you much. cbeek

Garagedeveloper is not a real publisher.
There WEBSITE looks VERY bad. More of an amateur, just like Crystal ..... Don''t expect much.

The look of the site doesn''t really matter if they''re not a publisher. All that matters is that people buy stuff from them.

What are their policies?

Ben
www.icarusindie.com

Actually they''re just a front end for DigiBuy. If DigiBuy will sell your game, then you can go to GarageDevelopers and ask them to promote it as well. They just refer sales. They don''t actually handle anything.

Ben
http://www.icarusindie.com

Garagedeveloper isn''t a retail publisher first of all.
As an internet publisher it doesn''t look very well, when you enters the internet site. That''s my first impression.
Also they aren''t well known on the internet, Realarcade is very well known.

Digibuy handles sales for garagedeveloper just like Digital river is a sales service.
Realarcade uses there own sales system and also they give there programm realarcade free to internet users. So download time of a demo or full game is faster when you use this programm also there is always up to date news and patches etc. A Forum for your game etc.

Garagedeveloper isn''t looking any professional when I compare it to realarcade. That is my conclusion. It''s the same way as the guy of pcgamesforyou.com. I don''t want to offend anybody.

I also played some demo''s of garagedeveloper and the qualiy of there games is mostly very bad.
Also they doesn''t got much games in there productline.
Realarcade gots very much games of different genres in there productline.

Try Realarcade as the internet publisher.
Look at the other topic Realarcade. If you need more info.

Guest Anonymous Poster
they only sell through digibuy.
not on the other the e-tail sites they mention.
I checked it, but didn''t find one game.

first of all before this turns into some sort of bash fest similar to the alex/crystal software.com thing...

no i''m not a retail publisher.

yes i''m an online publisher.

i initially published my space invaders clone through crystal interactive. they didn''t do anything with it(that''s all i have to say on that subject) and noone else would publish it. so i decided that i would sign up with DR.
you may go onto any of the sites that DR supplies and search on
GLIPS Entertainment in the electronic downloads sections.
two games will come up in the searches.
The Millennium Invaders Invasion and Gunocide 2.

i signed up with digital river after i''d seen them on market watch on cnbc a couple years back, when they did an IPO.
the choice was either them or netsales, which digital river wound up buying out.

i started online publishing because many developers do not have
a credit card to get an e-commerce account. i thought that this
would be a good way to allow developers that access and simply
split the sales evenly for each sale.

i even host a non-published game on my site. i did that because
that developer had already took it upon himself to setup his own
payment system(he uses softwrap). he asked some advice and i offered to host his game in an effort to get hime some kind of exposure even though he didn''t need credit services through me.
but since my site is so crappy i
guess that pretty takes care of itself......

my space invaders game...although it''s pretty old and admittedly
not that great by today''s standards.....it does sell.

digibuy.com serves one purpose and digital river serves another.

i initially chose digital river because of who they have relationships with....and that''s where my game has been listed.
outpost.com, egghead.com, compusa.com
i''m in the process of updating my account with
additional games but it''s a big process being one person.....

i signed on with digibuy simply because of their service(easy
quick card processing.

at the time these two options were cheaper than getting a merchant''s account, which i''m in the process of doing now.

so to boil it all down.....
i simply offer developers an opportunity to get their products in
front of customers by piggy backing off what i already have in
place....that may be amateurish to some and my site may not look
all that great....i do not mind the sentiment.

i''m not here to impress anyone.
my site doesn''t look like realarcade.com''s but....
i concieved and implemented everything myself, by myself because i felt developers needed a service catering to them.

i came with a different idea on things, and that was
to try and help other developers by offering a simple
service that does some of the work
that they can''t do themselves even after people told me i
was stupid for it. my head is still upright.

imagine that.

GLIPS Entertainment, Inc.
http://www.glipsent.com/

GarageDeveloper International
http://www.garagedeveloper.com/

IndieGarageWare.com
http://www.IndieGarageWare.com/

My thoughts...

Anyone that takes it upon themselves to help about the game development community as a whole is a good thing (whether they also make profit directly because of it or not)

No-one is saying that you have to use Garage Developers. Take a look at the actual question in hand.
has anyone worked with this company? I would love to hear more about them. any information will be greatly appreciated. thank you much.

Rather it just seems to be another attack...
Guys, maybe the less we complain, the more other people may be willing to help out, because you have to admit it, these things can also benefit developers too - its not like multinational million dollar companies trying to take every last cent from us is it... ???

Philip Lutas
CEO of Optical Realities

Thanks for all of the replys, especially the one from the developer of garagedevelopers international. I really like the fact that you have gone to all of this work for the community. I would still like to have a little more information about how successful you are with selling games. Any info would be appreciated. thanks.

cbeek

Guest Anonymous Poster
The space invader game looks like shit.
In the early arcade days space invader was a much better game, which was nice to play. So I don''t compare it too todays requirements.

I would go for realnetworks, they sell very much more then digibuy or others.

RealNetworks is a huge company.

The idea is to offer an easy solution to developers who just want to get their game out there without a lot of hassle.

Sales numbers don''t matter. They mean absolutly nothing. So what if they''ve sold hundreds or thousands of games? It''s an outlet.

You can submit your game to DigiBuy, GarageDevelopers, Icarus Independent, ect and get more exposure. You don''t have to use just one.

It''s an idependent game. The last thing on your mind should be how rich you''re going to get off of it. You should just take every opportunity available to you to get it out there. Right now exposure is more important than money. At least it should be.

Ben

Icarus Independent

Jump Down The Rabbithole

Guest Anonymous Poster
Selling in different online shops is the best thing to promote your game.

But it''s stupid to go through garagedeveloper if you could handle
it directly to digibuy, or digital river and others.
Important is that not all online sales services site, require a credit card. There are enough online shop, who don''t use this as a requirement they take a bit from your sales.
And then they send you each month a check.

Important to know is that realnetwork uses two agreements Kalvin.
The first one is a standard agreement, you can sell also through other channels. But Real will promote a bit less your game, then if they got the exclusive rights.

Or you can choose for the exclusive agreement, they will take everything to promote your game. But you don''t may sell it through any other distribution channel in retail or online.
So they are the only one who sells your game.

Guest Anonymous Poster
This guy below sold his game through download.com and other sites but without any result. So why should selling through garagedeveloper, who handles the sales through digbuy(if you read the info on the digibuy site Kalvin). Garage upload the content etc. So then first digibuy takes a part of the profit
and then garagedeveloper takes a part. So what is left over is four the developer. Probarly not much...........

So I find this very stupid thinking.
Contact directly the online shop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roman Arce
and some games like mine have a conversion rate of almost 0%, over 20000 downloads at download.com and more in many other sites and just 1 copy sold to someone who paid with someone else credit card...
Is my game so pathetic? Search for "punk" at download.com and it''s the only game with that name, but is it really so pathetic?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Important is if the game is well promoted.
Reviews, messageboards, etc.
Screenshots. Info on the homepage , updates etc.
A quick to access site is important.
Realarcade is a very easy and nice place to be as a gamer.
But garagedeveloper isn''t it. in know way.
It looks very ugly, especially the homepage. My 8 years old doughter could make a site like that.
So the site is IMPORTANT. It''s the first impression.
You must look it from the customers view.
Will I buy it or not. Also the name /label garagedeveloper is not orginal related to games developing.
In my opinion you get a 10 for being a top bad thinker.

Its a bit...strange...that people who have not sold a single game think they can bash on other peoples websites or give them advices.

So what is a good website? Tell you what, when I go on one of those "cool d00d" flash websites I leave faster than the screen has build up. That''s why I never visit the websites of those "professional" companies. I want the information, fast, that looks good, but without any high-tech stuff.

Websites are like art - some people like it and some hate it. Just make something that fits to your budget and don''t worry too much. If your game is good and on some download sites the sales will come from itself. And if not - then its your game and nobody else fault.

Now I get back to coding. I have a game to finish.

I feel the same about that, I HATE those "professional" flash sites with STUPID animations, all the flash animations are obviously shit compared to anything you can watch on TV for example, I prefer simple html[+java-script] and all the info fast and easy to visualize.

I agree that flash websites arent always the best. If flash is so cool why don''t Amazon use it? They are the most successfull site on the web...
I have spent a lot of time on my site, not adding flash, but redoing the graphics, trying to get it to load real fast and look as professional as I can. I discovered that using Cascading Style Sheets really helped me get a good look for my site. I try to make sure all my links are always active, and don''t add anything that looks unprofessional, like links to non-games sites that i think might be ''cool''.
The main thing that sells games is having a good game. After that, its a matter of promotion and good reviews. A good review or even a mention on Adrenaline Vault or StrategyPlanet can shift more copies in a week than you might otherwise sell in a year. submit your game to every download site you can find. If your game isn''t on at least 20 sites then you aren''t really trying.

http://www.positech.co.uk

Guest Anonymous Poster
I hate flash also.
What I mean is that the site (html) needs to have a fresh look
to feel comfortable as a customer. Of course the game needs to be good.

Compare it with a retail shop, where you can find easy and clear your needs. For an online shop this is also important, it doesn''t have to be a an animation disco. Just look again at realarcade. Nice html homepage. Of course websites is a design field, but you need to get something nice of it. Just like realarcade did. Also I have to say, that egames got also a good and fresh new website look. There first site was nice. But the second site is also good. A simple site like valusoft, and I refer then to the first one. It was nice and simple. A fresh look. There second new site is nicer. But again, you can see that there is a nice structure in those sites. And I don''t mentioned the sites of the biggies like EA etc. Those sites are also nice and fresh. But with front page the first site of valusoft is possible.

When you look at the site design of garagedeveloper, my 8 year old daughter could design it.

The site design of cliffski is much nicer and fresher then the site of garagedeveloper, when you make a compare between indie developers sites.

It isn''t just something personal, no way.
It''s a matter of good site design structures.

By the way I sold 2 years ago an
arcade game through eGames. It''s sold on there
big big game packs. They sell worldwide in many units.
Over the 100.000 a year. I am unfortunately not rich.
It''s on pro-rate base calculated.
But it''s a start. I believe that realarcade can be something
new, then the default shops like Digital River, Digibuy etc.

You keep complaining about the percentage. I don''t think you realize what it costs to produce a game. Even if you were to sell the game yourself you wouldn''t make 100%. There are quite a few costs involved. Materials, shipping, taxes, fees for accepting CCs, ect.

DigiBuy and Icarus Indie both mark up to the final price to cover those costs. The author gets the most profit. You can''t calculate the percentage from that. The more you demand the more we have to mark up the price to accomadate you.

Anywayz, Garage Developer is a decent site. It could be neatened up a bit but it''s still a decent site.

Ben

Icarus Independent

Jump Down The Rabbithole

Guest Anonymous Poster
No, your logic skills are not straight.
Of course there are other costs. Did I mention that it isn''t.
Did I complain ?
I know sure more then you about the game publishing/distributing etc. my friend Kalvin

Guest Anonymous Poster
>i initially chose digital river because of who they have >relationships with....and that''s where my game has been listed.
>outpost.com, egghead.com, compusa.com
>i''m in the process of updating my account with
>additional games but it''s a big process being one person.....

DIDn''t found your space invader shit on compusa.com

you seem a bit upset not finding the games.....
i guess the other guy''s 8-year old daughter found it.

why can''t you?
here''s a quick manual for you....

from http://www.outpost.com/

Select PC Computer
next Select Downloads
next Select Game
next Select PC Gaming
from there either search on "GLIPS" or
select the action "Action" category.

this process is similar on the rest
of the e-tail sites mentioned, which doesn''t have to be
explained to much smarter people who actually have a clue
as to how to research and look for something.

have a nice life.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Okay smart head, I found it. but I am not going bying your shit!!
How much did you sell?? Give us a guess......... 1

good mr. AP.

it's obvious why you're posting anonymously......you're a nobody.
furthermore, i'm actually a nice guy and i shoot straight in all
aspects of the phrase.

i have a vision of what i want to accomplish and it's certainly
not clouded or influenced by the negative comments you and the
others have said, simply because i'm just a bit too old to
be even remotely affected.

i don't need your money... you may instead use it
to learn how to type the english language correctly.
or do i need to suggest some learning resources for you to
take advantage of also?

there....you can have the last words and grace us with your
immaturity and ignorance-(i'm sure it's blissful for you.)

i have work to do.

Edited by - ViktorBarron on August 1, 2001 7:50:53 PM