Proofreading and linguistics

Started by
9 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 2 months ago
I was just wondering: is proofreading a feasible profession? I often find myself scrutinizing the often-overlooked nuances of English grammar, punctuation, and conventional style in whatever it is I may be reading, whether it be an entry in a game lore database, a treatise on economics, or a particularly eloquent poem in the Valkyrie Profile series. An incorrectly placed "whom" or neglected subjunctive case on an advertisement or promotional work instantly degrades my perspective on whatever it may be promoting; same thing happens when I encounter these errors in character dialogue subtitles or mission objectives, and it always detracts from my gameplay experience. I find I am very much at ease analyzing text for creating a feel of crisp professionalism. What sort of career or profession could involve the little things? Not the creation of entire storylines or plots, but an intro poem, witty Latin quotations, and perhaps the occasional exotic alien language.
Jack
Advertisement
Sure, you could try becoming an Editor--part of what they do is proofreading.
Quote:Original post by Sanctux
1. I was just wondering: is proofreading a feasible profession?
2. What sort of career or profession could involve the little things? Not the creation of entire storylines or plots, but an intro poem, witty Latin quotations, and perhaps the occasional exotic alien language.

1. Yes -- at a company whose business is book publishing, or translation, or whose business otherwise constantly involves the output of copious amounts of text. Not at a game company. (If that's what you were asking.)
2. Hmm. Tricky. Look, if this is the kind of thing you're passionate about, you should stick with it. Eventually you'll find your niche, even if nobody here can come up with a viable answer for you.

[Edited by - Tom Sloper on January 27, 2010 12:51:42 PM]

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

The type of editor who does proofreading is specifically called a Copy Editor.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Thanks for the replies, guys and gal.

Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper

1. Yes -- at a company whose business is book publishing, or translation, or whose business otherwise constantly involves the output of copious amounts of text. Not at a game company. (If that's what you were asking.)

Are you saying game companies do not have copy editors or proofreaders as specific professions?
Jack

Are you saying game companies do not have copy editors or proofreaders as specific professions?

You have accurately deduced my meaning. Was I being too subtle? How would you (as a copy editor) suggest I should have worded that? I'm being serious -- I seek to improve.

You have accurately deduced my meaning. Was I being too subtle? How would you (as a copy editor) suggest I should have worded that? I'm being serious -- I seek to improve.

You weren't being subtle, I was simply in disbelief. I'd always thought there was a specific person in the game industry responsible for proofreading-related tasks, seeing the nicely polished literary qualities in several of my favorite games.

I apologize. I'm not actually a copy editor; rather, I'm a student.

Could you expand a little bit on your second point?
Quote:2. Hmm. Tricky. Look, if this is the kind of thing you're passionate about, you should stick with it. Eventually you'll find your niche, even if nobody here can come up with a viable answer for you.

Not that it's being presented in a subtle manner. [grin] I'm just curious.
Jack

You have accurately deduced my meaning. Was I being too subtle?

You weren't being subtle, I was simply in disbelief. I'd always thought...

Ah. That was a VERY well-disguised "really?" or "are you sure?"
And that's a good thing. Because I get ticked off when people ask me "really?" or "are you sure?" as if I'd been lying.
Clever how you avoided that.
Quote:Could you expand a little bit on your second point?
Quote:if this is the kind of thing you're passionate about, you should stick with it. Eventually you'll find your niche

I already have: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson40.htm
Also read Joseph Campbell... and look up Randy Pausch's final speeches on YouTube.

I'm still rather young, and I've had several spur-of-the-moment-type "passions," until I realized they were more like interests than passions. Perhaps one day I'll find out what my true passion is.

Thanks, Tom.
Jack
Passions aren't discovered, they are cultivated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement