Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nat

ProEdit 4

Hi Nat,
Chris, definately heading in the right direction.

I didnt have too much of a problem setting up the lights, one thing to keep in mind is the lights can start off screen, not directly in front of the camera as in the past light editor. (is it possible to have a button that sets the current light in front of the camera?)
1st make sure your materials uses RGB Texturing.
then select Edit/Lights & shift the dialog to the side somewhere. To make the Light Icons easier to see change the scale to 20 or 40 (depends on model scale)
select Recalc Lighting & position Lights
make light 0 a point light & set radius up high.(It is easier to see if you make the light 255 red 0 b/g
position the light icon & then make necessary adjustments.

The lights appear to move indepenently of the camera pan which can cause some problems.
especially if you position the lights where you want, switch recalc off and move your camera view - then if you click recalc again they seem to have shifted in relation to the model.

NOTE - I had crashes loading in my old light files from PRLight. (Not really a problem if this is a new format)
Also would be nice to have a preferences dialog where we could set the value for the Standard Directional light you have, as the thing I am currently working on doesn't use a directional like this, but I still need to use the RGB Textured Dynamic Lighting. (so the viewer doesn't really portray what I will see in game)
ie All my standard lighting is precalced & then I just need to add weapon lighting in game.

The crash you are experiencing is due to not being able to find the pointer.pro file used in the lighting section. I am sure chris will fix this, but as a temporary fix, just copy the pointer.pro to the directories you want to load pro files from.

Cheers Darrin

Hey!..
this was very helpful ..
Its been a while since I worked on PRLIGHT and forgot about the RGB method

I am doing the same ( copy pointer.pro into an area where the files are .

And sure Chris is doing it great .. thanks Chris.

cheers
Nat

The lights seem to do what I want. You can place the lights in the world, then move the object around later. Perhaps you're thought you were moving the camera when you're really moving the object? To move the camera turn on Fly mode, then click on the rotate button on the toolbar. This will move the camera around and the object and lights will not change.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi Chris,
I did actually figure it out after the last post. I didn't realise we were defaulting to object movement/rotation. Now looking great.

Are you going to include a scenedit type function, or would you like someone to write a seperate one based on ProEdit?

Cheers
Darrin

The beta 4 I belive has Lighting capability .. but could not see it in action .. a readme.txt on how to check it will be great. Also if I try to open .pro files from other folders other than the folder ProEdit.exe resides .. it crashes