• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If anyone can make this small code snipit Link (compiles fine) I'd be grateful)

This topic is 6140 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m trying to get a static member function in my class to access the other non-static members. I know thats a no-no but I`ve seen it done. Only thing is my version doesnt work and I`ve lost access to the code that showed how its done. Anyhow, I think I`m close because this compiles) It generates a Link error though. Heres the test I`m using to figure it out. If anyone can correct this code and your a very clever gynacologist too I`ll have your babies . Thanks in advance. My classes Header file: class cTest { protected: int iVar; public: int iFunc() { return iVar; } static int iSFunc(); static cTest *m_pTest; public: cTest(): iVar(10) { m_pTest = this; } }; inline cTest *GetTest() { return cTest::m_pTest; } My classes Body file: int cTest::iSFunc() { return GetTest()->iFunc(); } Generated Link2001 error: cGameEngine.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static class cTest * cTest::m_pTest" (?m_pTest@cTest@@2PAV1@A) cGameEngine is just the point in my code where I instantiate an instance of cTest)

Advertisement
Perhaps you should define your static members in a cpp file (only in one).

ex:

cTest* cTest::m_pTest = NULL;

and similarly for all your static members.

If you don't do this the compiler won't know in which module to reserve space for the data.

Edited by - Dactylos on July 31, 2001 7:51:52 AM

Hurrah! Thanks that works a treat. Finally I can encapsulate WndProc without losing any important functionality, and have my own complete cWindow class. Thanks I owe you)

Edited by - i_sys on July 31, 2001 7:56:48 AM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!