Greenpeace ??

Started by
74 comments, last by Diodor 14 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
Quote:Original post by LessBread
That's not the sense I get from this position paper: Policy C1: Climate Change and Energy.

Compare that with Policy C2: Nuclear. The Australian Greens don't like coal power plants. But they really, really hate nuclear.

So, has anyone pointed out to them the huge amount of medical related services that are tied directly to nuclear systems?

Also has anyone pointed out to them just how Clean and Safe nuclear power has proven to be in the last two decades?
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Talroth
Also has anyone pointed out to them just how Clean and Safe nuclear power has proven to be in the last two decades?

That's something that annoys me to no end: the ones that are the most ignorant about nuclear systems are often the loudest protesters against it.

I unfortunately have several friends that share the apparently very popular opinion that nuclear power == nuclear weapons == Chernobyl == invisible death-ray radiation thingy we don't understand == evil+bad. Most of them would gladly prefer a dozen new coal power plants to a single modern nuclear plant, because "yeah they pollute like fuck, but at least they aren't nucular !". Ugh. Ignorance isn't always bliss.

Now, despite these people, here in France about 80% of our electricity comes form nuclear plants. Which is good. The amount of renewable sources is also steadily rising, which is even better. But for fucks sake, get rid of these prehistoric coal and gas plants. Yeah, nuclear power certainly has its problems. But, all tradeoffs considered, it's the best mass-energy production method we currently have.

That is until we get this thing working. But wait, that's nucular again !! OMG, run !

*sigh*
Yelling is doing something. It's not always the most effective thing to do, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. In a representative system, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Right now in the US the squeaky wheel is the tea party people and with the election of Scott Brown, they're getting heard.

I will agree yelling is doing something. But at the same time if they aren't doing anything but yelling means they are doing nothing. On the same note - do the ones yelling understand what they are all yelling about? Does anyone who give out fliers understand why they are protesting from a scientific viewpoint. From my understanding after talking to them I realized they don't even understand basics of why global warming happens. They asked me - do you know about global warming, frankly I did say - no and I would like to know why. I was asked to go to a website.

Yelling without knowing the reason as to why you are yelling is analogous to monkeys experiment of coporporate policy
The more applications I write, more I find out how less I know
Quote:Original post by CRACK123
Yelling is doing something. It's not always the most effective thing to do, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. In a representative system, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Right now in the US the squeaky wheel is the tea party people and with the election of Scott Brown, they're getting heard.

I will agree yelling is doing something. But at the same time if they aren't doing anything but yelling means they are doing nothing. On the same note - do the ones yelling understand what they are all yelling about? Does anyone who give out fliers understand why they are protesting from a scientific viewpoint. From my understanding after talking to them I realized they don't even understand basics of why global warming happens. They asked me - do you know about global warming, frankly I did say - no and I would like to know why. I was asked to go to a website.

Your logic is self-contradictory. If yelling is doing something, then doing noting but yelling is still doing something. I don't know if leafletters understand what they are protesting from a scientific viewpoint but the notion that they must is vapid. A person doesn't need to understand the chemistry of combustion to ring a fire alarm bell. Just because they referred you to a website doesn't mean they didn't understand the basics of global warming.

Yelling without knowing the reason as to why you are yelling is analogous to monkeys experiment of coporporate policy

I see a different analogy at work in that joke, where you are the experimenter spraying water on an organization you disapprove of because such disapproval is the way it’s always been done around here.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
That's not the sense I get from this position paper: Policy C1: Climate Change and Energy.

Compare that with Policy C2: Nuclear. The Australian Greens don't like coal power plants. But they really, really hate nuclear.

That's a very rational kind of hatred as hatred goes...
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by Yann L
That is until we get this thing working. But wait, that's nucular again !! OMG, run !

*sigh*

Apparently they don't like fusion reactors either, which, again, makes me seriously question them as an environmental organization.

So, has anyone pointed out to them the huge amount of medical related services that are tied directly to nuclear systems?

Has anyone pointed out to you that research reactors are sufficient to supply those needs? No? Then allow me: The potential dangers in medical isotope production

Nuclear power: It's twice as clean as clean coal!

Dirty, Dangerous and Expensive: The Truth About Nuclear Power

Quote:
Each year, enormous quantities of radioactive waste are created during the nuclear fuel process, including 2,000 metric tons of high-level radioactive waste(1) and 12 million cubic feet of low-level radioactive waste(2) in the U.S. alone. More than 58,000 metric tons of highly radioactive spent fuel already has accumulated at reactor sites around the U.S. for which there currently is no permanent repository. Even without new nuclear production, the inventory of commercial spent fuel in the U.S. already exceeds the 63,000 metric ton statutory capacity of the controversial Yucca Mountain repository, which has yet to receive a license to operate. Even if Yucca Mountain is licensed, the Department of Energy has stated that it would not open before 2017.

Nuclear power: It's safer than nuclear weapons!

Accident casts fresh doubt on nuclear safety (November 25, 2009)

Quote:
On Nov. 21, there was a radiation leak at Three Mile Island nuclear power plant near Harrisburg, Pa., less than 100 miles north of Baltimore up I-83. One hundred and fifty workers were evacuated, and 20 people were exposed to radiation.
EDF has other problems in France, where 15 of 58 reactors it owns are currently off-line. As reported this month in the Economist, one investment bank attributes the company's trouble with reliability in electricity production to under-investment and large maintenance costs from EDF's aging nuclear power fleet. Another expert quoted in the article commented that more attention was being given to international expansion and less to local French operations. One site, Tricastin, has repeatedly been in the news for leaks and mishaps - as it was again two weeks ago, when its Unit #2 had to stop refueling because the fuel assembly got stuck, just as it had last year. Also last year, there was a 30,000-liter spill of a uranium solution that contaminated two nearby rivers for a time. Another event at Tricastin last year caused the low-level radioactive contamination of 45 workers.

Quote:Original post by Rycross
Quote:Original post by Yann L

*sigh*

Apparently they don't like fusion reactors either, which, again, makes me seriously question them as an environmental organization.

Your link href is missing an opening quotation. The complaint there pertains to the cost not the class of the technology: "With 10 billion, we could build 10,000MW offshore windfarms, delivering electricity for 7.5 million European households,"

In more recent news: Initial NIF experiments meet requirements
for fusion ignition
(January 28, 2010)

Quote:
The test shots proved NIF’s ability to deliver sufficient energy to the hohlraum to reach the radiation temperatures – more than 3 million degrees Centigrade – needed to create the intense bath of X-rays that compress the fuel capsule. When NIF scientists extrapolate the results of the initial experiments to higher-energy shots on full-sized hohlraums, “we feel we will be able to create the necessary hohlraum conditions to drive an implosion to ignition,” said Jeff Atherton, director of NIF experiments.

Your logic is self-contradictory. If yelling is doing something, then doing noting but yelling is still doing something. I don't know if leafletters understand what they are protesting from a scientific viewpoint but the notion that they must is vapid. A person doesn't need to understand the chemistry of combustion to ring a fire alarm bell. Just because they referred you to a website doesn't mean they didn't understand the basics of global warming.

I see a different analogy at work in that joke, where you are the experimenter spraying water on an organization you disapprove of because such disapproval is the way it’s always been done around here.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make. However I was making the same analogy that you see in that joke i.e. green peace always did it this way (we don't know why they do it this way), but because we have done it this way we will follow suit. However I am not that much against their protest as such as I did say before. What I am against is i) their way of protest and ii) protesting without any scientific basis. The person who was actually giving out the leaflet probably did not know and was just getting paid some thing to do the job and probably wasn't a green peace activist. But the so called activist who are getting paid to go to companies and promote greenpeace have no clue about it whatsoever. Now I do see a big problem there. And no I don't want to go to website if the activist talking about global warming has no clue as to why it happens/how someone can help solve it. I don't expect them to have all the answers but I do expect them to have some understanding of what/why they are trying to do whatever they are doing.
The more applications I write, more I find out how less I know
Your link href is missing an opening quotation. The complaint there pertains to the cost not the class of the technology: "With 10 billion, we could build 10,000MW offshore windfarms, delivering electricity for 7.5 million European households,"

You didn't read the whole thing:

Quote:
Fusion energy - if it would ever operate - would create a serious waste problem, would emit large amounts of radioactive material and could be used to produce materials for nuclear weapons. A whole new set of nuclear risks would thus be created.

There are serious doubts about whether renewable energy can make up our entire usage. At the very least, it may be necessary to develop technologies for base-load power, and fusion seems to be the cleanest and most viable of these until we can move to space-based solar. Its important that we invest in a wide range of energy production technologies, because its unlikely that one technology will be able to meet all our needs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement