Brainstorming for FPS Mod

Started by
12 comments, last by Kastafar 22 years, 8 months ago
Yeah nobody is going to be explicitly melee, there will some other options, but I was thinking it should have that kind of feel and fun. There are a ton of mods, let alone released games all going ranged, (although I suppose that''s why it''s first person shooter ), I just want to see if other options are fun/viable. I''m still in the idea phase so after I get something down on paper, then come back to it I might realize that it won''t fly, but I think it could be pretty fun right now.

And yeah, as far as the experience goes it has to be done carefully. Games like CS/Tactical Ops are cool, but if you have a few bad rounds and get broke, then you''re completly out gunned. They still work, but I like to keep the playing fields a bit more even. I don''t see a need to have the winning players have that kind of advantage over the losing side. It adds to the challenge and fun in some sense, I''m just not after that gameplay.

I was more thinking a constant bonus on either side regardless of win/loss/death in the last round. It would basically just let people diverge, and ''power'' steadily increase each round, but classes are already defined. Some might raise a few things to max, others might branch out more, etc. If there were any kind of individual bonuses it would be something to aim for, but wouldn''t be anything that would really out balance things.

I might ditch the round based gameplay though. Although I enjoy some of that now, one of the things that turned me off of counter-strike originally is that I didn''t feel like sitting around for 4 minutes of a 5 minute round if I get killed early. If start up an fps I want to play . I''d probably just do normal gameplay at first anyway since it''s already there, then add the option for round based later if it''s worth adding.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Sandman
TookH: The elementals go mad.

Aw, you''re no fun.

"It tastes like burning..."
Art of War is a mod for Quake3 along these lines if you want to check it out. It''s a RTS+FPS blend (QuakeCraft ), and I like it alot though it doesn''t seem very popular on the public servers (there is one).
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Cool Mod, really interesting concept. Thanks for the link Magmai.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement