DirectX and Blender 3D

Started by
0 comments, last by sebbit 14 years, 2 months ago
Hi guys. I am modeling a terrain in Blender and I have added waypoints in my terrain for the camera to follow. I plan on exporting the model to the .x format. When I render my scene in my engine, which uses directx, I don't want to render the waypoints. The only way I can do this is my making all my waypoints use the same material index so that I can just skip the paticular subset when rendering. Is there a better way to do it besides writing my own format? I would really like to keep using the D3DX functionality for loading and parsing my model. How do you guys do it?

xdpixel.com - Practical Computer Graphics

Advertisement
As the .x file format only stores meshes and skinning information by default, there is no direct way to store other scene information except than what you describe. Two other possibilities could be:

• The .x file format is extensible. So you could define your own templates for your additional information. That would be the "clean" way. Haven't done that myself so I can't comment on how complicated that would be, but it would require you to change the exporter as well.

• Use a separate file for your camera path. Looks like the simpler and most likely easier approach. That way you wouldn't have to define a dummy material for non renderable stuff and it would make it alot easier to change, add, remove camera paths to your map.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement