Network Programming and theory

Started by
2 comments, last by KwamiMatrix 22 years, 8 months ago
Hey all. Ok, I was wondering if anyone could point me to good books or online starting tutorials on exactly how networks work, and how various networking and internet protocols work. Basically, I am new to Network programming and theory, and want to have a good understanding of how Protocols such as UDP, TCP/IP, PPP, DHCP, ICMP, and others work. I also want to understand how different computers running different operating systems can communicate with each other, such as a MacOS X server hosting GNU/Linux and Windows clients. Basically, I want a good beginners/advanced book on Networking theory and Networking Programming. Can anyone help me please? My game engine needs networking ability, even though it''s in its early stages of developement. thanks. Edem Attiogbe
Edem Attiogbe
Advertisement
Read anything (and everything) by Richard Stevens. He''s widely considered the authority on network programming. Avoid Microsoft specific stuff when possible. But before diving into Stevens'', you should search the web for general networking information, even look at the Gamedev.net resource section for network programming. There are a few good articles there for generic networking stuff. FlipCode.com is good too.

good luck,

Tim/Fingh
Thanks a lot fingh. I checked out some of the gamedev articles, and they did a good job on familiarizing with a lot of basic networking theory, including hardware(routers, switches, hubs, etc.) and protocols. I was searching for network programming books on boarders, barnes and nobles, and amazon.com''s webpages, and Richard Steven''s name came up a lot. I probably pick up one of his Unix Network Programming books. Thank''s again.

Edem Attiogbe
Edem Attiogbe
At the office it is a very commonly heard phrase:
"Hey, can I grab your Steven''s?"
"Sorry, someone else just borrowed it..."

regards,

Tim/Fingh

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement