Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pointer problem

This topic is 5976 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have been having a problem with my pointers lately. I can''t figure out what the heck is going wrong! I am using an array of pointers pointing to arrays, which is called lparray. I am doing this because in the real program, I need to be able to change the amount of elements in an array. So this is what I have come up with (which obviously doesn''t work). If you run it you will find that lparray points to the same address. What''s the problem? class TheClass { public: char (*lparray[2])[64]; void ChangeArray(char name1[64], char name2[64]); }; void TheClass::ChangeArray(char name1[64], char name2[64]) { strcpy((*lparray[0]), name1); strcpy((*lparray[1]), name2); } void main (void) { TheClass Class; char temparray[64]; int a = 0; Class.ChangeArray("array1", "array2"); for (a = 0; a < 2; a++) { cout << (*Class.lparrayLink

brad_beveridge is right, you should use the STL (it''s much easier). But if you really want to use pointers, I suggest you do it like this:

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

class TheClass
{
int size;
public:
// Use a pointer to pointers

char **lparray;
TheClass();
~TheClass();
void ChangeArray(char name1[64], char name2[64]);
};

TheClass::TheClass() : size(2)
{
// Allocate memory

lparray = new char* [size];
for (int i = 0; i < size; i++)
lparray[i] = NULL;
}

TheClass::~TheClass()
{
for (int i = 0; i < size; i++)
delete[] lparray[i];
delete [] lparray;
}

void TheClass::ChangeArray(char name1[64], char name2[64])
{
// Copy the name1 and name2 strings and allocate memory

lparray[0] = strdup(name1);
lparray[1] = strdup(name2);
}

void main (void)
{
TheClass Class;
Class.ChangeArray("array1", "array2");
for (int a = 0; a < 2; a++)
{
cout << Class.lparray[a] << endl;
}
}

I didn''t quite understand what you wanted to do with that char (*lparray[2])[64] structure, but to me, it seems too complex if you just want to make a variable sized array of strings.

Dormeur