if i can't draw very well will i not make it as a 3d artist?

Started by
10 comments, last by TheEtErNaL7 14 years, 2 months ago
hello, i am writing because i want feedback on what i should do. I can draw okay but i can't draw like really well with every little detail and wrinkle on a person. If i can not do that will i not make it as a 3d artist, because i really want to become one. What should i do? how do i get there? Thanks you sorry for my ignorance.
Advertisement
Making things out of clay is a lot closer to 3D modeling.

Best bet, download a free modeler (Wings3D is ridiculously easy) and try it.
Quote:Original post by armbuck
What should i do?
Like any skill: Practice ;)

Even at work where we've got really talented professional artists, we still hold fortnightly drawing classes for people to practice their drawing skills. Practicing is the only way to get better.

Sketching isn't the most important skill for a 3d modeller though - usually an illustrator will draw a piece of concept art for you, then you use your 3D skills to sculpt it.
I have a friend who is an excellent 3D modeler but can't draw to save his life. (I can draw better and seriously I am barely a step above stick figures!)

I find it much much easier to model something in 3D then to draw it which is why for the game project I am currently working on I decided to jump to 3D lol.
Art questions belong in Visual Arts.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:If i can not do that will i not make it as a 3d artist

Traditional art skills are not required to do 3D modeling, although they may certainly help. The only thing that may pose a problem would be Texturing (since that requires a certain level of traditional art skill), but with practice i'm sure you'll do fine.

I'd recommend Blender, its free and has everything you'll ever need, Modeling, texturing, animating, etc. Incidentally you may want to read This, seeing as Blenders interface is considered to be quite unintuitive (at first anyway).
Being a traditional artist helps, but it doesn't mean you can't be a 3D artist. Practice, Practice, Practice!
I'm not very good at 2d art because I have trouble visualizing the object and perspective at the same time, I like 3d art since it lets me create objects in a much more mechanical way and deal with the view angle and lighting later.
You can get quite far without being able to draw, but you'll certainly hit a roof pretty quickly. Having traditional knowledge is nearly a must for any artist, or he'll be eternally doomed to not be as good as the people who do have it.

So Im not saying this as a "you cant become good", it's more of a "Practice traditional alongside the 3d for optimal skills!" :)
-----------------------------------------------------www.agonyart.com
Both types of art are really about knowing shape, composition, and color theory. Drawing a car, and modeling a car are really the same things. You are just plotting out the shapes and adding your own artistic style on top of it.

There is not much a modeler can do to help you out if you don't have much practice drawing or modeling the things you want to make.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement