Major Game Studios and Online Applications (why?)

Started by
13 comments, last by Orymus 14 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by Talroth
Personally if I was running a company I would also set it up that way, and require a $50 deposit before any human touched your application. If HR decides that you simply aren't what is being looked for currently, you get your money back in a day or two and get kept on file with the option to update your account as you gain new experience the company may be interested in.
I reckon, make it $10 and the company just keeps it, no matter what.

(I realise that leaves things way open for abuse, where a company could advertise a job position they have no intention of filling, but it's an interesting idea [smile])
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Talroth
Personally if I was running a company I would also set it up that way, and require a $50 deposit before any human touched your application. If HR decides that you simply aren't what is being looked for currently, you get your money back in a day or two and get kept on file with the option to update your account as you gain new experience the company may be interested in.

If your application is instead bumped up to the level where you get called in for an interview, then your deposit is kept till that time. If you appear to be BS and wasting company time, you don't get your deposit back and your name gets black listed.

Just imagine if every studio started doing that; anyone actively looking for a job could potentially be out thousands of dollars. There would definitely be screw-ups, so you can be sure that at least 10% of your deposits will never be returned. Not to mention the amount of false job advertisements posted by fake companies looking to scam unemployed individuals.

It may seem like a good idea for a studio that is bombarded with resumes on a daily basis, but to me it seems... I don't know, I would never apply to a company that wants me to pay them for a chance at a job.
Some people actually do not enter a curriculum vitae within this space, but stuff like "3 reasons why I'm worth a shot".
It happens to work too sometimes.
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
And programs like that are the reason half the resumes are useless piles of buzzwords and TLA's.

Format your resume. If your resume is hard to read, I'll immediately assume your code is hard to read.
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
And programs like that are the reason half the resumes are useless piles of buzzwords and TLA's.

Format your resume. If your resume is hard to read, I'll immediately assume your code is hard to read.

Hey, you actually have a serious point there ;)
I personally avoid artsy stuff in my resume. It is bullet-point and straight to the point, and it transfers easily to these preset text forms. I suppose that is anticipated?
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement