character and terrain navigation

Started by
2 comments, last by arturapps 14 years, 2 months ago
Dear people. I' facing some problems related to character navigation on my game. By character navigation I mean keeping the character on things ( on the floor , over objects that it can climb), and out of things ( out of the walls of a map). I have implemented my own methods for this , but they are not so robust, and they fit better to biped characters. Now I have to implement a method for 4 feet animals , and the approaches I have used will not work very well. I would stay out of using physics engines for navigation ( except for the necessary collision detections ) because my game must have a little footprint ( it is for slow machines) . I searched the internet for this stuff but what I could find is all about using physics engines. I would like to find some good articles about doing character navigation just like on the old days of quake and the first 3D racing games. Do anybody know about anything ?
Advertisement
I forgot to say that I talking about the character that the user can control ( the player character).

For NPCs , I can use a grid or a navigation graph ( waypoints ) that works fine
It sounds like you're more concerned with simulating locomotion (e.g., stuff like interaction with the world and the physics/mechanics of movement) rather than navigation (e.g., path finding type stuff). Terminology confusion aside, I had posted the following link in another recent thread. You may find it useful. The implementation is, as I recall, on top of Unity3D. But there's enough technical ideas in there that it may be useful to you. I think it could be adapted to quadrupeds:

Automated Semi-Procedural Animation for Character Locomotion

That technique isn't super easy to implement, but it is kind of nice for realistic locomotion. There are some fairly easy ways to implement robust locomotion in small footprint code, if you can compromise, e.g., if you could ignore foot placement and skeleton/bone-level collision avoidance, then you can do some really simple things like use a swept sphere or even a line to avoid collisions in the desired movement direction, and just ray trace down onto the level/terrain geometry to decide what the height will be...ray tracing from above the character's current height by the amount of maximum step or jump to deal with navigable obstacles while avoiding big things like large walls. This sort of approach doesn't give you pristine, never-a-collision and never-an-interpenetration result, but it can be done in small code, is pretty easy to implement, and can be super fast.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Exactlly ! I´m really concerned about locomotion simulation.

Thanks for the link ! It seems to be usefull

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement