What's the default object file format

Started by
11 comments, last by jerry2 22 years, 8 months ago
Im a beginner :o)

i created my own simple ASCII format that I can understand, just contains a few simple command that i can parse into a compiled display list, does the job nicely and i can add features to this format as needed.

One thing you guys might be able to help with is howto protect a file format from user modification. I was thinking about using some kind of "broken" compression?
Advertisement
quote:
One thing you guys might be able to help with is howto protect a file format from user modification. I was thinking about using some kind of "broken" compression?

Just use a crc algorithm, that computes a checksum of your file. You can use compression or even encryption prior to the CRC check, so that it gets even more difficult to alter the file. With the nice side effect of a reduced filesize. Esp. ASCII formats compress very well.
for all fileformats except images + sound ild go with an ascii (readable version) i wish i originally had done so it would of cut weeks (no exageration) off my development time. its an very easy task to convert them to some binary format just before release

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement