Sign in to follow this  
Discard_One

DX11 compile shader

hi all i having a relatively complex shader to compile it takes a significant amount of time can i save the compiled bitcode and simply load it instead to compile it each time ? D3DX11CompileFromFile doesnt takes a device so the compiled code shoud by device independent !? is it also system independent ? coud i get a cresh whit a diferent DX version or are there any other problems this coud casue an other question i dont understand the documentation on [branch] and [flatten] if(x) { x = sqrt(x); } this is a joke !!! whats intressting me is if(x) { y = sqrt(z); } also the attributes of the "switch" are a misterium to me my shader is basiclly 2 functions with a switch statement in each whit roufly 20 diferent cases numthreads( 30, 20, 1 ) and switch(GTid.y) betwean the 2 functions i need to syncronize whit a barier the first functions is creating betwean 20-500 points stored in groupshared memory and a few matrixes the 2. constructs a chamferbox out of this data what attribute shoud i use for the switch ? calculating the matrixes 30 threads will calculate the same matrix from my point of view it makes no sense to stop this and calculate it whit just one i probably coud save a few mikro wolt power !? but no speed even worser the check to do this whit just 1 thread woud cost aditional time (where by i have not a clue how threads are sheduled on the GPU) i am just not sure that i not getting corupted data if 30 threads writing at ones to the same lokation (the same data) it not seams to by the case but woud by better to now for sure cheers rick

Quote:
Original post by Discard_One
hi all

i having a relatively complex shader
to compile it takes a significant amount of time

can i save the compiled bitcode and simply load it instead to compile it each time ?

D3DX11CompileFromFile doesnt takes a device so the compiled code shoud by device independent !? is it also system independent ?

coud i get a cresh whit a diferent DX version or are there any other problems this coud casue

You can absolutely save the compiled bytecode. In fact most games will compile their shaders at build time and save them to a file, then at run time they will load the compiled shaders so that it's quicker. They bytecode is just a stream shader assembly opcodes, which are totally device-independent. It doesn't matter if you load them with a different version of the SDK.

You shouldn't need to place attributes on any flow control constructs until your algorithm is working and you are specifically trying to optimize in some fashion. The compiler will automatically do what it thinks is best and normally doesn't need the hint.

I suggest reading the CUDA(NVIDIA), Stream(AMD) papers on GPGPU computing. You can find these on their developer sites. The papers talk about how threads are scheduled, how to use memory barriers, and much more. It's very helpful and should answer your questions.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By noodleBowl
      I was wondering if anyone could explain the depth buffer and the depth stencil state comparison function to me as I'm a little confused
      So I have set up a depth stencil state where the DepthFunc is set to D3D11_COMPARISON_LESS, but what am I actually comparing here? What is actually written to the buffer, the pixel that should show up in the front?
      I have these 2 quad faces, a Red Face and a Blue Face. The Blue Face is further away from the Viewer with a Z index value of -100.0f. Where the Red Face is close to the Viewer with a Z index value of 0.0f.
      When DepthFunc is set to D3D11_COMPARISON_LESS the Red Face shows up in front of the Blue Face like it should based on the Z index values. BUT if I change the DepthFunc to D3D11_COMPARISON_LESS_EQUAL the Blue Face shows in front of the Red Face. Which does not make sense to me, I would think that when the function is set to D3D11_COMPARISON_LESS_EQUAL the Red Face would still show up in front of the Blue Face as the Z index for the Red Face is still closer to the viewer
      Am I thinking of this comparison function all wrong?
      Vertex data just in case
      //Vertex date that make up the 2 faces Vertex verts[] = { //Red face Vertex(Vector4(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f), Color(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(100.0f, 100.0f, 0.0f), Color(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(100.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f), Color(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f), Color(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(0.0f, 100.0f, 0.0f), Color(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(100.0f, 100.0f, 0.0f), Color(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f)), //Blue face Vertex(Vector4(0.0f, 0.0f, -100.0f), Color(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(100.0f, 100.0f, -100.0f), Color(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(100.0f, 0.0f, -100.0f), Color(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(0.0f, 0.0f, -100.0f), Color(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(0.0f, 100.0f, -100.0f), Color(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f)), Vertex(Vector4(100.0f, 100.0f, -100.0f), Color(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f)), };  
    • By mellinoe
      Hi all,
      First time poster here, although I've been reading posts here for quite a while. This place has been invaluable for learning graphics programming -- thanks for a great resource!
      Right now, I'm working on a graphics abstraction layer for .NET which supports D3D11, Vulkan, and OpenGL at the moment. I have implemented most of my planned features already, and things are working well. Some remaining features that I am planning are Compute Shaders, and some flavor of read-write shader resources. At the moment, my shaders can just get simple read-only access to a uniform (or constant) buffer, a texture, or a sampler. Unfortunately, I'm having a tough time grasping the distinctions between all of the different kinds of read-write resources that are available. In D3D alone, there seem to be 5 or 6 different kinds of resources with similar but different characteristics. On top of that, I get the impression that some of them are more or less "obsoleted" by the newer kinds, and don't have much of a place in modern code. There seem to be a few pivots:
      The data source/destination (buffer or texture) Read-write or read-only Structured or unstructured (?) Ordered vs unordered (?) These are just my observations based on a lot of MSDN and OpenGL doc reading. For my library, I'm not interested in exposing every possibility to the user -- just trying to find a good "middle-ground" that can be represented cleanly across API's which is good enough for common scenarios.
      Can anyone give a sort of "overview" of the different options, and perhaps compare/contrast the concepts between Direct3D, OpenGL, and Vulkan? I'd also be very interested in hearing how other folks have abstracted these concepts in their libraries.
    • By turanszkij
      If I do a buffer update with MAP_NO_OVERWRITE or MAP_DISCARD, can I just write to the buffer after I called Unmap() on the buffer? It seems to work fine for me (Nvidia driver), but is it actually legal to do so? I have a graphics device wrapper and I don't want to expose Map/Unmap, but just have a function like void* AllocateFromRingBuffer(GPUBuffer* buffer, uint size, uint& offset); This function would just call Map on the buffer, then Unmap immediately and then return the address of the buffer. It usually does a MAP_NO_OVERWRITE, but sometimes it is a WRITE_DISCARD (when the buffer wraps around). Previously I have been using it so that the function expected the data upfront and would copy to the buffer between Map/Unmap, but now I want to extend functionality of it so that it would just return an address to write to.
    • By mister345
      Trying to write a multitexturing shader in DirectX11 - 3 textures work fine, but adding 4th gets sampled as black!
      Could you please look at the textureClass.cpp line 79? - I'm guess its D3D11_TEXTURE2D_DESC settings are wrong, 
      but no idea how to set it up right. I tried changing ArraySize from 1 to 4, but does nothing. If thats not the issue, please look
      at the LightShader_ps - maybe doing something wrong there? Otherwise, no idea.
          // Setup the description of the texture.
          textureDesc.Height = height;
          textureDesc.Width = width;
          textureDesc.MipLevels = 0;
          textureDesc.ArraySize = 1;
          textureDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM;
          textureDesc.SampleDesc.Count = 1;
          textureDesc.SampleDesc.Quality = 0;
          textureDesc.Usage = D3D11_USAGE_DEFAULT;
          textureDesc.BindFlags = D3D11_BIND_SHADER_RESOURCE | D3D11_BIND_RENDER_TARGET;
          textureDesc.CPUAccessFlags = 0;
          textureDesc.MiscFlags = D3D11_RESOURCE_MISC_GENERATE_MIPS;
      Please help, thanks.
      https://github.com/mister51213/DirectX11Engine/blob/master/DirectX11Engine/Texture.cpp

• By GameDevCoder
      I have to learn DirectX for a course I am studying. This book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-3D-Game-Programming-Directx/dp/1936420228 I felt would be great for me to learn from.
      The trouble is the examples which are all offered here http://www.d3dcoder.net/d3d11.htm . They do not work for me. This is a known issue as there is a link on the examples page saying how to fix it. I'm having difficulty with doing this though. This is the page with the solution http://www.d3dcoder.net/Data/Book4/d3d11Win10.htm.
      The reason why this problem is happening, the book was released before Windows 10 was released. Now when the examples are run they need slight fixes in order for them to even work. I just can't get these examples working at all.
      Would anyone be able to help me get the examples working please. I am running Windows 10 also just to make this clear, so this is why the examples are experiencing the not so desired behaviour. I just wish they would work straight away but there seems to be issues with the examples from this book mainly because of it trying to run from a Windows 10 OS.
      On top of this, if anyone has any suggestions with how I can learn DirectX 11 i would be most grateful. Thanks very much. I really would like to get them examples working to though from the book I mentioned.
      Look forward to reading any replies this thread receives.

GameDevCoder.

PS - If anyone has noticed. I asked this about 1 year ago also but this was when I was dabbling in it. Now I am actually needing to produce some stuff with DirectX so I have to get my head round this now. I felt at the time that I sort of understood what was being written to me in response to my thread back then. I had always been a little unsure though of being absolutely sure of what was happening with these troublesome examples. So I am really just trying to get to the bottom of this now. If anyone can help me work these examples out so I can see them working then hopefully I can learn DirectX 11 from them.

*SOLUTION* - I was able to get the examples running thanks to the gamedev.net community. Great work guys. I'm so please now that I can learn from this book now I have the examples running.
      https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/693437-i-need-to-learn-directx-the-examples-for-introduction-to-3d-programming-with-directx-11-by-frank-d-luna-does-not-work-can-anyone-help-me/?do=findComment&comment=5363013
  • Popular Now