Sign in to follow this  
John Stuart

OpenGL Reason why opengl transform in reverse?

John Stuart    100
Is it because when I have a point P in space. If I rotate, then scale it. OpenGl reads it like this P' = Rotate()P P'' = Scale()P' P'' = Scale()Rotate()P So starting from left it scale then rotate point P. Can anyone here enlighten me. Thank you very much.

Deliverance    387
OpenGL matrices aer columnn major, when multiplynig two column major matrices A and B you hey: A*B in this order. When you multiply a vertex by A*B you get
A*B*v, this means that matrix B will affect first the vertex v and then matrix A will contribute to v, in this order.

When applying transformations like glRotatef you multiply the stack matrix with the rotate matrix and so for example you obtain this:

current stack matrix = I3.

glRotatef(90, 0,1,0); I3 * rotate
glScalef(1,1,0.5); I3 * rotate * scale;

And that's how the matrices are applied in reverse order considering the order you type the transformations.

[Edited by - Deliverance on February 7, 2010 8:32:43 AM]

Brother Bob    10344
The order of transformation is just an interpretation of intermediate steps of a sequence of several transformations, and nothing related to OpenGL.

If you look at an object and transformations as being applied to the object's local coordinate system, they behave as if the transformations are applied individually in reverse order as they appear in the code. You can also look at transformations from a global coordinate system perspective, and then the objects appear to be transformed in forward order as they appear in the code.

So it is only about how you interpret the code and transformations. As far as OpenGL is concerned, there is a single matrix, and coordinates are multiplied by that matrix (considering the object and viewpoint transforms, so the modelview matrix concept only).

There are only two things that concerns OpenGL; that is the initial coordinate and the final transformed coordinate. If you need to interpret each individual steps, you concern yourself with intermediate steps, but OpenGL doesn't.

apatriarca    2365
Mathematicians transform points as OpenGL does. So, it's DirectX who do it in reverse. Even if we usually work with affine transformations, which can be represented by 4x4 matrices, general transformations aren't matrices. They are functions from a space to another. A simple example of non-affine transformation is this. So the composition of transformations should follow the conventions of composition of functions: if you have two functions f and g their composition is the function (f.g)(x) = f(g(x)). In your case, if S is the scaling and R the rotation then (S.R)(P) = S(R(P)) which is the rotation followed by the scaling. Hope it make sense for you.

szecs    2990
That way you can build hierarchical renderings:

For example you have a car with four wheels.

In real life (I mean the non-reversed order):

transform_wheel (its rotation, and steering)
transform_wheel position (put the 4 wheels to the 4 corners)
transformation_of_car_in_world
camera_transformation.

So if you want to draw the wheels, you have to traverse trough all transformations to get the final transformation.
If you want to draw the body of the car: traverse through the last 3 transforms, and so on.

in opengl:
camera_transformation
draw_world
transformation_of_car_in_world
draw_car_body
push
transform_wheel_1 position (put the 4 wheels to the 4 corners)
transform_wheel_1 (its rotation, and steering)
draw_first_wheel
pop
push
transform_wheel_2_position
transform_wheel_2 (its rotation, and steering)
draw_second_wheel
pop

So if you build the hierarchy well, you don't have to traverse through all transformations for every single objects, only have to multiply with the local transformation of the current object, and use the matrix stack (push/pop).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By pseudomarvin
      I assumed that if a shader is computationally expensive then the execution is just slower. But running the following GLSL FS instead just crashes
      void main() { float x = 0; float y = 0; int sum = 0; for (float x = 0; x < 10; x += 0.00005) { for (float y = 0; y < 10; y += 0.00005) { sum++; } } fragColor = vec4(1, 1, 1 , 1.0); } with unhandled exception in nvoglv32.dll. Are there any hard limits on the number of steps/time that a shader can take before it is shut down? I was thinking about implementing some time intensive computation in shaders where it would take on the order of seconds to compute a frame, is that possible? Thanks.
    • By Arulbabu Donbosco
      There are studios selling applications which is just copying any 3Dgraphic content and regenerating into another new window. especially for CAVE Virtual reality experience. so that the user opens REvite or CAD or any other 3D applications and opens a model. then when the user selects the rendered window the VR application copies the 3D model information from the OpenGL window. 
      I got the clue that the VR application replaces the windows opengl32.dll file. how this is possible ... how can we copy the 3d content from the current OpenGL window.
      anyone, please help me .. how to go further... to create an application like VR CAVE. 

Thanks
    • By cebugdev
      hi all,

i am trying to build an OpenGL 2D GUI system, (yeah yeah, i know i should not be re inventing the wheel, but this is for educational and some other purpose only),
      i have built GUI system before using 2D systems such as that of HTML/JS canvas, but in 2D system, i can directly match a mouse coordinates to the actual graphic coordinates with additional computation for screen size/ratio/scale ofcourse.
      now i want to port it to OpenGL, i know that to render a 2D object in OpenGL we specify coordiantes in Clip space or use the orthographic projection, now heres what i need help about.
      1. what is the right way of rendering the GUI? is it thru drawing in clip space or switching to ortho projection?
      2. from screen coordinates (top left is 0,0 nd bottom right is width height), how can i map the mouse coordinates to OpenGL 2D so that mouse events such as button click works? In consideration ofcourse to the current screen/size dimension.
      3. when let say if the screen size/dimension is different, how to handle this? in my previous javascript 2D engine using canvas, i just have my working coordinates and then just perform the bitblk or copying my working canvas to screen canvas and scale the mouse coordinates from there, in OpenGL how to work on a multiple screen sizes (more like an OpenGL ES question).
      lastly, if you guys know any books, resources, links or tutorials that handle or discuss this, i found one with marekknows opengl game engine website but its not free,
      Just let me know. Did not have any luck finding resource in google for writing our own OpenGL GUI framework.
      IF there are no any available online, just let me know, what things do i need to look into for OpenGL and i will study them one by one to make it work.
      thank you, and looking forward to positive replies.
    • By fllwr0491
      I have a few beginner questions about tesselation that I really have no clue.
      The opengl wiki doesn't seem to talk anything about the details.

What is the relationship between TCS layout out and TES layout in?
      How does the tesselator know how control points are organized?
          e.g. If TES input requests triangles, but TCS can output N vertices.
             What happens in this case?
      In this article,
      http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2120983
      the isoline example TCS out=4, but TES in=isoline.
      And gl_TessCoord is only a single one.
      So which ones are the control points?
      How are tesselator building primitives?
    • By Orella
      I've been developing a 2D Engine using SFML + ImGui.
      Here you can see an image
      The editor is rendered using ImGui and the scene window is a sf::RenderTexture where I draw the GameObjects and then is converted to ImGui::Image to render it in the editor.
      Now I need to create a 3D Engine during this year in my Bachelor Degree but using SDL2 + ImGui and I want to recreate what I did with the 2D Engine. 
      I've managed to render the editor like I did in the 2D Engine using this example that comes with ImGui. 
      3D Editor preview
      But I don't know how to create an equivalent of sf::RenderTexture in SDL2, so I can draw the 3D scene there and convert it to ImGui::Image to show it in the editor.
      If you can provide code will be better. And if you want me to provide any specific code tell me.
      Thanks!
  • Popular Now