Sign in to follow this  
Galima

C++, What do I do after I have read my first book

Hello everyone. I have ordered Beginning C++ Through Game Programming, Second Edition by Michael Dawson. I ordered this book because it teaches me C++ from the start and uses the example code in small example games which I find interresting. This is all fine but what do I do now when I have read this book ? I have been looking at this book. Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX first edition which every says is super awesome and it seems to be a super awesome book but its not being sold anymore on amazon.co.uk and neither in any book store in my country. There is a second edition but it seems everyone is hating that. I'm really confused. After I have read my current book I would like to get into the basic of game programming 2D to start with. Game engine, character, enemies, sounds, input, a little bit multiplayer. I would like to keep it DirectX. I hope someone could help me on this topic, thanks in advance. Regards Galima

Worry about it later. Read the book you have ordered first, and see where you want to go after that. There isn't a set list of criteria of knowledge which qualifies you as a game programmer,so just learn whatever interests you. When I first started,I was interested in multiplayer games - so I looked up books on networking. Working in 3D - not my thing, too much math for me and i'm terrible at modelling, so I need other people to make my game assets. The areas that interest me are 2D games, networking and artificial intelligence, so I base my game projects around these.

Have a look for your book on other places besides amazon, I would imagine you can get an electronic copy somewhere (and I mean by paying for it :-) I'm not condoning pirating!)

If you still can't find the book, just have a look for others. I choose my books by searching amazon for an area of interest (eg. C++ networking), and looking for a book with good reviews.

I recommend finishing that book and then picking up a different C++ book that explains anything you are having trouble understanding in a different way. If you have a good foundation of the language you wish to work with then you will have a much easier time when you start making more complex games.

Though If you find yourself having a lot of trouble with C++ there are plenty of other languages you can learn that are still good for making games. (Examples: C# and XNA, Python and PyGame, Visual Basic, and even flash).

Thank you all for your current answers.

It seems its best to wait untill the end in my current book before thinking about getting a new book.

I'm curious about which books I should buy which cover all the basics of game programming as 2D, character movement, keyboard / mouse inputs, sounds, animation, multiplayer, not something as 3D or anything like that, I prefer to start with the basic stuff and have a good knowledge.

As the book I wrote about in my first message "Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX" it is not available anymore, only the second edition which have gotten really bad reviews.

I was hoping someone knew a really good book which covers the subjects I wrote about above.

Quote:
Original post by Galima
Hello everyone.

I have ordered Beginning C++ Through Game Programming, Second Edition by Michael Dawson.

I ordered this book because it teaches me C++ from the start and uses the example code in small example games which I find interresting.

This is all fine but what do I do now when I have read this book ?

I have been looking at this book.
Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX first edition which every says is super awesome and it seems to be a super awesome book but its not being sold anymore on amazon.co.uk and neither in any book store in my country.

There is a second edition but it seems everyone is hating that.

I'm really confused.

After I have read my current book I would like to get into the basic of game programming 2D to start with.

Game engine, character, enemies, sounds, input, a little bit multiplayer.

I would like to keep it DirectX.

I hope someone could help me on this topic, thanks in advance.

Regards Galima

You didnt mention if you did any programming previously, but still you cant just 'read' the book, you actually have to do the programming to learn it effectively.

There should be examples that you can compile and run -- that will get you started on how to use the IDE environment.

You then should start modifying the code -- small changes at first so that you can get it running again. That will get you started understanding how the DirectX works and how to look up things in the reference documentation to do things not covered by the book (and actually what in detail the books examples did). DirectX has certain ways of doing things (parameteres/objects) that will start to become understood, and when you try to do other things THAT knowledge will make it less mystifying.

Later you start making bigger modifications and recombining things the book covers and the examples in the DirectX SDK.

It will take time. The drawing, sound, input functionality all have their own complexities and learning it will be cumulative. I did DirectX after 20 years previous of being a programmer and it still was alot of work to make it do what I wanted (and alot of research in other books and online to find clues and even examples of similar things)

If possible try to make a real project that is not too complicated so that you can get parts of it running sooner than later. 2D is pretty straight forward and will let you figure out the game mechanism (the rest of the programming) that will use the DirectX.

Sorry I haven't replied the last few days.

wodinoneeye:

I have experience in HTML, XHTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, those languages doesn't have anything in comment with C++ but those languages are my prior experience.

I know, its impossible to just read a book about programming and think its possible to program anything usefull, it takes time, exercises, practice, and a logical brain.

Seems I have to buy a reference book too.

Thanks for your post it was helpfull :)

Regards Galima