questions about programs and programing compatability

Started by
10 comments, last by Daaark 14 years, 2 months ago
does anybody know what format autodesk programs save your files as, or what the possible options might be? and does any body know if c++ is compatable with those formats or maybe panda 3d?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by lookkool3
does anybody know what format autodesk programs save your files as

Depends on which program, Autodesk has lots of different products, most of them can work with different file formats.

Quote:and does any body know if c++ is compatable with those formats

Autodesk provides extensive SDKs, most of which are in C++ as well.

Quote:or maybe panda 3d?

What is it that you really want to know? How to use 3DSMax models in Panda3D?

what i'm asking is when i use an auto desk program like maya or 3d to make something. what would be the best program out there to actually use what i made for example if i were to use it in an animation or a game? whats a common program most people use?
Moved to the For Beginners forum.
what i'm asking is when i use an auto desk program like maya or 3d to make something. what would be the best program out there to actually use what i made for example if i were to use it in an animation or a game? whats a common program most people use?

Given your very vague requirements, I would wager that XNA is the best answer to your question. XNA can handle importing FBX files, which Maya can export with the proper (free) exporter. Obviously Maya isn't free, but there are other 3D modellers which also support FBX which *are* free (XSI Mod Tool for example).

Of course, XNA isn't magic that you can plug your model into and have a game. You'll have to know how to program something that uses the model, first.
ok your right maybe i wasn't clear i'll try and narrow it down a bit more...

lets say im making an mmorpg on the computer with maya,3ds or some other programs that would make the game look good but still compatablie with programing programs or at least possible to make everything work together easily.
let me know if this still isn't clear
That's not how it works.

3D data is basically a list of points (vectors/vertices) and their associated data. You save them out to a file from the modeling program, and then create code to read the file and send the data to the proper in-memory structures you've specified to hold your 3D data. Then you send those points to the GPU to be drawn as a series of triangles.

The formats Autodesk's programs save in are proprietary, and are only useful to store data that the program itself needs to let you edit your work. You will have to export to other formats. Either open ones like FBX, or formats you invent yourself to hold your program specific data.
ok and what programs would you use for something like this?
actually you know what is there any books out there on this kind of stuff like something for beginners or would i have to take some classes to learn this stuff?

[Edited by - lookkool3 on February 7, 2010 11:24:06 PM]
Maya has a few export plugins that you get for it. You could export everything to COLLADA and then parse that into your game.
The other option that many places take is making a custom exporter dll for Maya using Visual Studio and the Maya API.
That way you can add your own custom items to the Maya files as well (like in-game objects, markers for placing effects or spawned models, etc.).

A good place you could start is either exporting as a COLLADA, or obj format. Both are text and mostly simple to parse into a game.
Or, get a .X file exporter. DirectX has functions to load those directly (xna only?).
IIRC Ogre has some model loaders as well if you want to use that API to simplify your life.

After you have something like that working, it is nice to setup a converter that packs out a custom file format that you can just load in place with no text parsing needed.
ok and what programs would you use for something like this?
To export your own models from autodesk programs?

You can make custom dlls as the poster below mentioned. You can also use the in-program scripting languages (MaxScript, MEL, Python) just to write out your own files from there.

That stuff is beyond a beginner's level though.

You should try something like unity, which will grab the data for you, and let you script how you want it to interact.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement