tetris,breakout and pacman, how?

Started by
3 comments, last by MorDuc 14 years, 2 months ago
Hi everyone, i have found really good article imho on this site, http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/makegames/page2.asp I think it gives good advice, make these 3 games to get the grasp for future, but how is beginner reading this supposed to make tetris, breakout and pacman? I wish there is a book like that article that follows it by tutorials on that 3 games, would really be neat but... I did order some good books, starting to read them but they are mainly on DirectX, i would really love to start with stuff like tetris or pacman, good memories from childhood tho, any advice how or what book is really appreciated Marko
Advertisement
In order to make these types of video games you first must learn how to program in some language and environment.

Assuming that you have no programming experience, I would suggest going through the tutorials for C# and XNA (Tutorial Link). This will help you learn the tools to be able to make tetris, breakout, and pacman after you put some (considerable) effort into it.
So that's the reason why I'm so lousy programmer, I never made those programs.
Okay I made tetris after 4 years of programming.

Can you program?
I think it doesn't matter which stuff you program (tetris/breakout/pacman), all that matters is that you program a game (if you want to be a game developer), and finish that game as much as you can.

My first game was a Tankwars/Scorched_Earth clone, and it introduced me (quite gradually) a lot of valuable stuff (graphics, low level graphics, keyboard input (keymap stuff with interrupt handling), mouse handling, DOS OS, file I/O, making supporting programs, AI programming, gameplay balancing, GUI programming/layout, low level stuff (just for fun)).

So the main thing (IMHO) is that you try to finish a game, so you will have insight to a lot of things. And make whatever you enjoy to make. (I wouldn't enjoy working on every aspects of a tetris clone)

But that's just an "IMHO"
Working hard, keeping focus and FINISHING are the most important talents when making a game.
All the programming stuff is just something you learn as a tool to help you along the way. And you don't even have to be good at it ;)

as the other says. you need some programming skills to begin with.

what languages are you familiar with?

I myself are using c++. and my first game was tetris. thought it would be easy :-S, but didn't take me long to realize it wasn't.

I searched the web for some tetris programming tutorials. to get some inspiration on how to start. and then, it got alot easier.

but there are several things you need to know, or learn to make tetris.
input - keyboard.
loading and displaying 2d graphics.
basic collision detection.
sound - games are nothing without it.
file I/O - for saving and loading highscores.

so after finishing tetris you would actually have touched most game programming subjects. on a very basic level atleast. the only thing you don't have to worry about is AI. which can be an even bigger mouthfull.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement