Sign in to follow this  
gretty

Make App Open on Startup

Hello I am making an application that reminds the user to backup their files every 6 weeks, so I need my application to open on the computers start up, check if today is the scheduled back up day, if yes remind user, if not exit program. I have everything sorted out except for how to make the program run at start up. By the way, is there a simpler way for the program to open itself on the correct scheduled day or do I have to start the program every day or when the CPU is turned on then make it check if today is backup day? Also does Windows have a built in scheduler object, I think someone mentioned that in my last thread, would that be better? Anyway on to my Q: Is there a Win32 function that makes my application open at start up? I have done some searching & it looks like Vista blocks programs from doing it, so would a Win32 function to make a program run at startup work on Vista also?

As part of your installer, you'll need to put a shortcut to your app in the start menu's "Startup" folder, or add an entry to the registry in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
There's no Win32 function that I'm aware of to do that for you; it's the job of your installer to do stuff like that.

Vista will block programs that require elevation at startup, but if the program doesn't require elevation, then it should be OK.

Also, Windows has a Task Scheduler with pretty good programmatic access that will probably do what you better (for example, running at startup is no good if you never shut down!)