HDRR Tone Mapping Operator

Started by
1 comment, last by Yann L 14 years, 2 months ago
Do I have to use a TMO even if floating point FBO, textures and framebuffer are supported?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Tom Backton
Do I have to use a TMO even if floating point FBO, textures and framebuffer are supported?

Depends, but probably yes. The idea is that you can actually take advantage of the wider array of intensities available to you by applying a tone-mapping operator to them.

On the other hand, Unreal 3 does not actually do anything of the sort and instead just uses intensities above 1 for blooming. I consider this approach to be a bit of a waste, but it obviously is still a viable method.
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.
Quote:Original post by Tom Backton

Of course. The whole point of rendering to a floating point buffer is that you can use more advanced forms of tonemapping.

Quote:
On the other hand, Unreal 3 does not actually do anything of the sort and instead just uses intensities above 1 for blooming

Clamping is in fact a (primitive) form of tonemapping.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement