Can i go straight to game programming with C++

Started by
19 comments, last by JustChris 14 years, 2 months ago
Do you think that a beginner like me can go straight to learning about game programming insted of all the boring crap which has pretty much (as for me) nothing to do with game programming?
Advertisement
Anything is possible. But you sound like you're looking for a straight and easy path, and there isn't one.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Well, anything is possible but is it something that is possible for anybody who wants to learn it like that?
I gotta ask, what do you think isn't useful in game programming.
It's not a bug... it's a feature!
I dunno, i just don't think that writing a program which will bring up some numbers will help me get closer to making a game.
Quote:Original post by milosss
Do you think that a beginner like me can go straight to learning about game programming insted of all the boring crap which has pretty much (as for me) nothing to do with game programming?

Boring crap that has nothing to do with game programming? For example? It sounds to me like you're viewing programming as something you have to learn to make games, as opposed to something you actually want to do. Game programming isn't really some special discipline distinct from "boring" programming. The same principles that go into those boring apps also go into games. Learning them is part of becoming a good developer.

Long story short, I suppose it is possible for some people, although you will likely be a bad programmer if you try to do so.
I dunno, i just don't think that writing a program which will bring up some numbers will help me get closer to making a game.

Yes, I imagine that it must look that way to you, since you don't know what's useful for what. That's why you need to stop pretending to be the teacher and start being the student.

So basic IO, usage of variables, and program structure/flow are irrelevant to games? I hate to break it to you, but all of those AAA games you play use all of those things. You're trying to go from "I know nothing about programming," to "OMG awesome game!" in one step. There's no magic fairy dust that can teach you to make a game, without first teaching you the basics of programming. Sorry.

If you truly didn't need to learn anything, and if it were truly possible, you wouldn't have asked this question. You would be out there, finishing one title after another.

For example, I would never ask if it is possible for me to use Tool X, I'd merely go and use it, having used many similar tools before.

So try making a simple game. Take the skills you're learning and apply them to what you like. Make a Guess-The-Number game, or a text-based adventure game, or whatever you feel is interesting and feasible given your level of ability.

But yes, you do need to learn all of that "boring crap" somehow. If you learn it through things that interest you, though, it's not so bad.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement