Sign in to follow this  
ofarooq

C#: : Problems Detecting Alt Key on the Control.KeyUp event

ofarooq    122
Hi, I have a control with KeyDown and KeyUp events as shown below. The problem I am having is that 'x' is TRUE in KeyDown but always FALSE in KeyUp. I am trying to detect the Alt key (as you may have guessed). Is there a gottcha that I don't know. I mean, when I press Alt it detects it ok but on keyup it's false. Any suggestions/ideas Thanks private void MyControl_KeyDown(object sender, KeyEventArgs e) { bool x; x = ((int) (e.KeyData & Keys.Alt) != 0); x = (e.KeyData & Keys.Alt) == Keys.Alt; x = e.Alt; } private void GraphEditor_KeyUp(object sender, KeyEventArgs e) { bool x; x = ((int) (e.KeyData & Keys.Alt) != 0); x = (e.KeyData & Keys.Alt) == Keys.Alt; x = e.Alt; }

BLiTZWiNG    361
That is wierd... I notice that KeyCode is RButton | ShiftKey (KeyCode 18) rather than Alt. But if you hold alt and press then release a key, say T, then Alt is true and key code is 73. It seems to only not detect the lifting of the Alt key itself.

Yet, if you go to the definition of Keys enum, 18 is called Menu, and in the comment is labelled as Alt.

benryves    1999
Note that it's the same for Control (ControlKey) and Shift (ShiftKey). I suspect the lack of an AltKey is that Alt has a prescribed purpose (activate the menu) whereas Control and Shift don't have that luxury.

BLiTZWiNG    361
Quote:
Original post by benryves
Note that it's the same for Control (ControlKey) and Shift (ShiftKey). I suspect the lack of an AltKey is that Alt has a prescribed purpose (activate the menu) whereas Control and Shift don't have that luxury.

That's the feeling I have too. I'd have preferred consistency though.

arbitus    440
Edited for clarity:

The "Alt" key activates the menu bar when the key is released. This is handled by the ProcessCmdKey() method, and it stops the KeyUp event from occurring for the Alt key. Instead, you get a Menu key event, or you can detect Alt as a modifier on another key event.

I tend to override the ProcessCmdKey() method to just pass on the Alt key events so that it does not try and activate menus (when I am not using a GUI with a menu). In addition, you need the help of GetAsyncKeyState() if you want to detect which alt, ctrl, or shift key is pressed.

[Edited by - arbitus on February 9, 2010 8:27:43 PM]