LNK 1104 error dxerr9.lib

Started by
2 comments, last by mattd 14 years, 2 months ago
I'm having trouble trying to figure this problem out. I'm using a program from Jonathan Harbour's Beginning Game Programming that shows an example of using sound in a program. However, I tried to find the "dxerr9.lib" file and all I could find was a "dxerr" file. I'm using VS 2008, is that too new for this program. Here is the output build: Build started: Project: Play_Sound, Configuration: Debug|Win32 Command Lines Creating temporary file "c:\Users\DeeDubb\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Play_Sound\Play_Sound\Debug\RSP00000D10321296.rsp" with contents [ /Od /D "WIN32" /D "_DEBUG" /D "_WINDOWS" /D "_MBCS" /Gm /EHsc /RTC1 /MDd /Fo"Debug\\" /Fd"Debug\vc90.pdb" /W3 /c /ZI /TP ".\DirectSound.cpp" ] Creating command line "cl.exe @"c:\Users\DeeDubb\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Play_Sound\Play_Sound\Debug\RSP00000D10321296.rsp" /nologo /errorReport:prompt" Creating temporary file "c:\Users\DeeDubb\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Play_Sound\Play_Sound\Debug\RSP00000E10321296.rsp" with contents [ /OUT:"C:\Users\DeeDubb\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Play_Sound\Debug\Play_Sound.exe" /INCREMENTAL /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:"Debug\Play_Sound.exe.intermediate.manifest" /MANIFESTUAC:"level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /DEBUG /PDB:"C:\Users\DeeDubb\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Play_Sound\Debug\Play_Sound.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /DYNAMICBASE /NXCOMPAT /MACHINE:X86 d3d9.lib d3dx9.lib dxguid.lib dinput8.lib xinput.lib kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib ".\Debug\DirectSound.obj" ".\Debug\MyWindows.obj" ".\Debug\MyGame.obj" ".\Debug\MyDirectX.obj" ".\Debug\Play_Sound.exe.embed.manifest.res" ] Creating command line "link.exe @"c:\Users\DeeDubb\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Play_Sound\Play_Sound\Debug\RSP00000E10321296.rsp" /NOLOGO /ERRORREPORT:PROMPT" Output Window Compiling... DirectSound.cpp Linking... LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'dxerr9.lib' Results Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\DeeDubb\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Play_Sound\Play_Sound\Debug\BuildLog.htm" Play_Sound - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s) Thanks, let me know if you want to see the whole program.
Advertisement
Quote:Click
DXERR9 library removed from the DirectX SDK

The DXERR9 library has been removed from the DirectX SDK as of the August 2009 release. The DXERR9 error look-up library has been deprecated for some time in favor of DXERR which supports a broad range of DirectX and related error codes. The DirectX SDK Error Look-up Tool uses DXERR.

So you should be good to change (I'm guessing this is how you're linking it):
#pragma comment(lib, "dxerr9.lib")
to:
#pragma comment(lib, "dxerr.lib")
Thanks for the help. I was a little confused when I looked inside the DirectX SDK and didn't find the file. What you said now makes perfect sense.

Well I ran the program after the correction, and I'm not getting any sound. Do have any ideas on what might be the problem? The sound files are in the projects folder with the program files. Not sure how to solve this.

I appreciate the help.
We'll need to see relevant source to be able to diagnose that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement