• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ionosphere

Unity [web] What are some of the faster web-based game engines available?

This topic is 3029 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Of course, we all know that Flash is very huge on the Internet. Flash is just almost everywhere. The only problem is I am not that satisfied with its speed, no matter how hard I tried to optimize, etc. So here I am, looking for some of game engines out there that can be deployed on the web. Hopefully, there should be something that is faster than Flash. Here are some of the things I came across: I came across O3D. O3D is an open-source web API for creating rich, interactive 3D applications in the browser. Unity is one of the game engines that can be deployed on the web as well. I've tried its demo and I am quite impressed with the performance. However, being 3D is a little bit overkill for me, although the engine gives you a lot of productive flexibility. So here I am, wanting to ask you people a question: If I want to develop a not so complex game (it's likely to be 2D, but there is likely to lots of objects on the screen), what are some of the other (faster) web-based game engines I should be looking for?

Advertisement
How did you approach the Flash optimizations? Using AS3 and avoiding the traditional flash pipeline results in pretty impressive speed. This test app (from Mike Grundvig's blog) uses AS3 and copy pixel for rendering, and it puts a whole lot of objects on the screen: Test

Flixel is a flex based game library that boasts 10x speed boost of the typical Flash rendering pipeline.

As for other options: Unity is the next best choice IMO. It can make 2D games as well as 3D games, although yes, it's geared towards 3D. There are several plug-ins out there to facilitate 2D game development. For an example of some 2D games in Unity check out blurst.com

Beyond that you have Silverlight, Java, Shockwave, O3D...and that's all I can think of off the top of my head for real time graphical apps on the web. All of which would rank much lower than Flash or Unity for me personally.

[Edited by - shadowcomplex on February 9, 2010 10:25:06 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!