Sign in to follow this  
ionosphere

Unity [web] What are some of the faster web-based game engines available?

ionosphere    122
Of course, we all know that Flash is very huge on the Internet. Flash is just almost everywhere. The only problem is I am not that satisfied with its speed, no matter how hard I tried to optimize, etc. So here I am, looking for some of game engines out there that can be deployed on the web. Hopefully, there should be something that is faster than Flash. Here are some of the things I came across: I came across O3D. O3D is an open-source web API for creating rich, interactive 3D applications in the browser. Unity is one of the game engines that can be deployed on the web as well. I've tried its demo and I am quite impressed with the performance. However, being 3D is a little bit overkill for me, although the engine gives you a lot of productive flexibility. So here I am, wanting to ask you people a question: If I want to develop a not so complex game (it's likely to be 2D, but there is likely to lots of objects on the screen), what are some of the other (faster) web-based game engines I should be looking for?

shadowcomplex    445
How did you approach the Flash optimizations? Using AS3 and avoiding the traditional flash pipeline results in pretty impressive speed. This test app (from Mike Grundvig's blog) uses AS3 and copy pixel for rendering, and it puts a whole lot of objects on the screen: Test

Flixel is a flex based game library that boasts 10x speed boost of the typical Flash rendering pipeline.

As for other options: Unity is the next best choice IMO. It can make 2D games as well as 3D games, although yes, it's geared towards 3D. There are several plug-ins out there to facilitate 2D game development. For an example of some 2D games in Unity check out blurst.com

Beyond that you have Silverlight, Java, Shockwave, O3D...and that's all I can think of off the top of my head for real time graphical apps on the web. All of which would rank much lower than Flash or Unity for me personally.

[Edited by - shadowcomplex on February 9, 2010 10:25:06 AM]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By drcrack
      Hey
      I'm developing a game inspired by World of Warcraft PvP
      Key features:
      — It's not an MMORPG, you don't need to level up and gear up your characters
      — Many different rated and casual gamemodes: duels, 2v2 and 3v3 arenas, battlegrounds, deathmatches
      — Built-in voice and matchmaking without a party (if you don't want to push serious rating)
      — Non-targeting combat system
      Duels:
      3v3 with bots: 
      More videos coming soon!
    • By Affgoo
      About us:
      We are a team of 14 developers developing multiple mid scope games both are over halfway complete. We polish all of our games and focus on quality.

We are a small team, everyone currently on the team and future teammates must be interested in game development as a whole and not just one role, being a small indie company it is very important that you can wear a few hats and not just one. Everyone on our team is a game dev.

looking for:
      3d Artist (hand painting a huge plus)
      3d Animator
      entry level Software engineer with reasonable skills in c# / shaders. 

^ requirement for all positions: A true love of game development and to be very self motivated.
      We are a very active team, you must be too. 

If interested or for more information add me on skype: nicholas.boucher4

Atlas Sentry art style: (art complete)(code complete)
      http://www.slidedb.com/games/atlas-sentry

Rat n Gat art style: In Devlopment

• By EvaBalikova
      Main menu in Feudal Alloy. 
      twitter
    • By Jcyshadow97
      Hi guys,i m looking for someone that can work with me on a "top-down" multiplayer fps as 2d and 3d artist.I used photon server and i can take the part of programming.For now i made only the basic gameplay of the game that include shooting,switch weapon and and damage player.If someone can help me please contact me via e mail: 270514974@libero.it.
      I really appreciate your collaboration and hope you have a good day.....
      Thanks for you time to read the post
      At the bottom i attach some screenshot of the current game,i m sorry that i can't attach a video...

• By Raptor42
      I'm looking to form a new game development team, mostly for training purposes.
      About me:
      I'm a student - Unity C# developer, who worked part-time in this industry for a couple of years already. I've been a lead developer in many "random collab groups" as well as a few companies. I specialize in creating 2D games for Android, but I'm looking forward to trying out new things - especially 3D development.
      Currently, I've got one Android game close to a release so I'd work for this team in my spare time. 
      About the project:
      I've been thinking about creating a simple tycoon-like simulation game for Android (and PC eventually), inspired by the Game Dev Story (initially released by Kairosoft in 1997) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Dev_Story 
      I haven't done much planning though, therefore I'm looking forward to hearing out your ideas.
      Right now, I've only created a test 3D scene using placeholder models and implemented a simple pathfinding system for me to play around with:
      https://i.imgur.com/xAd0l4o.png
      https://i.imgur.com/nHZerOT.png
      I'm looking to work with people who are:
      - willing to take a position of a: 3D modeller/2D artist/Designer
      - not necessarily very experienced, but eager to learn and improve their skills
      - active - check in at least once a day
      If you'd like to apply for a different position which I didn't list here, you are welcome to contact me as well.
      While this project is created mostly for learning purposes, if we ever get to release it and generate any revenue - you will recieve a certain percentage of it.

To Apply:
      Send an email to rk.softwaredev@gmail.com
      Introduce yourself and attach an example of your work (if you have any)
  • Popular Now