Sign in to follow this  
akaitora

Waypoints

akaitora    399
Hi guys. I want to write an test application where a spectator camera goes flying through a terrain via way points. I have modeled my sample terrain in Blender and I have also specified way points in blender that have positions and orientations. I wrote a blender exported which exports each way point's position and orientation as well. When I load the way points into my demo, the way point's position and orientation are in model space so I transform them into world space. Finally I iterate through each way point interpolation my camera's position and orientation respectively. Does this sound like a good plan for what I am trying to achieve? Any potential gotchas that you may foresee? Thanks!

Buckeye    10747
Certainly sounds like it would work. You're really programming a collision detection routine and you could google for algorithms if you want to enhance the efficiency. E.g., you might want to consider some quick culling methods like a tree for your waypoint information.

A quick look in the tree to determine if there are any waypoints in the "cube" at the camera's position might save time. If there's a waypoint in proximity, then you can do a more detailed collision test.

If your waypoints don't overlap, you might also short-circuit the search if a collision is detected. No sense continuing to look for more collisions if you've already found one.