Sign in to follow this  
Tom Backton

TBB vs Thread Pool

Yes, it does.
Maybe; if you are experianced and can express the problem better in your own code then it might be worth while. But this is a rare case.

I'd just use the TBB (or if you don't mind being windows only MS's Concurrency Runtime which features in VS2010, RC out tomorrow for everyone) and be done with it.

Quote:
Original post by phantom
Yes, it does.
Maybe; if you are experianced and can express the problem better in your own code then it might be worth while. But this is a rare case.

I'd just use the TBB (or if you don't mind being windows only MS's Concurrency Runtime which features in VS2010, RC out tomorrow for everyone) and be done with it.

MS Concurrency Runtime (or some cousin of it) may end up being portable in the future sometime. It's sort of a grey area, but what I understood was that MS Concurrency Runtime was the result of some sort of collaboration with Intel to achieve a unified standard (or something resembling one) for doing concurrency in C++. What this means and what the implications are I don't know, but it kind of makes it sound like somehow either the Intel compiler will support it in the future, in which case it will be cross platform, or maybe TBB will someday be a superset of it, or something.