Sign in to follow this  
riruilo

Which one do you prefer, Bullet or ODE?

Hi! Which one do you prefer, Bullet or ODE? And Why? I have to choose one of them for my small school game. It seems to me Bullet docs are better than ODE, but idea about engine itself. Thanks in advance.

ODE, by miles. It's a bit more complicated to set up, but when you've done so it works in all cases.

I found bullet to be riddled with holes (pun intended but also meant). It needed way too many hacks and frigs for the pool game I wanted to use it for and it was never right. ODE went straight in and worked as expected as soon as I figured out the horrible friction stuff.

Just don't try to roll over any "slivers" or make two spheres a few inches across and expect them to actually touch before colliding.

This could rapdily descend into a PC/Mac war, so I'll state right now that I reckon a "small school project" should probably use Bullet anyway and work around any problems - it's definitely easier to setup.

Quote:
Original post by Rubicon
Just don't try to roll over any "slivers" or make two spheres a few inches across and expect them to actually touch before colliding.
Yeah Bullet is unstable for objects smaller than 10cm. Even a large object which is only 2 inches thick on one axis will go a bit crazy in bullet. In my situation I was simulating a Car colliding with other "a few meters"-sized objects, so it worked well.
Quote:
This could rapdily descend into a PC/Mac war
Hehe, good old programming-holy-wars ;) This is just about personal preference though, not trying to prove that one is better than another.