Company and names

Started by
1 comment, last by swiftcoder 14 years, 2 months ago
I intend to develop for apple computer and various apple products. ipad, iphone, ect. I would rather be referred to as a company name rather then my given legal name. how does this work for anyone who has actually gone through it. do you pay a lawyer to see if there is a company that exists that has the name you want. does it affect taxes (special filing). how much (generally) does it cost and is it something I renew. Once I get it is there special insurance I need.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by acorn
I intend to develop for apple computer and various apple products. ipad, iphone, ect. I would rather be referred to as a company name rather then my given legal name. how does this work for anyone who has actually gone through it.

do you pay a lawyer to see if there is a company that exists that has the name you want. does it affect taxes (special filing). how much (generally) does it cost and is it something I renew.

Once I get it is there special insurance I need.

In most countries you can either register a company or trade as an idividual. You should talk to a local accountant about the benefits of the two systems but basically it costs slightly more to run a company (and you need to be aware of your responsibilities as a Director) but provides protection by limiting liabilty. - that just means that if the company gets into debt people can't sue you personally. Trading as an individual is slightly less complex but if you were to run up large debts (unlikely) then your creditors could pursue you personally.

In either case you will need to be registered for/pay tax - again, an accountant will be able to advise you on this.

Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
If you are in the US, the Small Business Administration can be a good resource. Check out their web resources, and consider stopping by one of their district offices if one is located nearby.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement