Starving student needs software.....

Started by
19 comments, last by Captan_Carnage 22 years, 8 months ago
I''m working on a 2-d game and since I don''t have the $100,000,000 required for most graphics studios I need something free or shareware that lets you save (horay for FREEWARE!!!!!!!) to generate good looking 2-d graphics. (and yes I have Microsoft Paint already.....)
Advertisement
a good artist can do all he needs in MS Paint. software doesnt make the graphix, the artist does but any program with layers (i.e. photoshop or PSP) will help trememdously... thats about all you really need
Can you really make decent graphics with paint? I suppose it is just patience *sighs*. back to the Accesories directory then
The GIMP is the obvious solution, IMO, anyways....
[email=erydo@gdnmail.net" style="color: #ff0000; text-decoration:none; cursor:help;](o= erydo =o)[/email]
may check the demo of paint shop pro.
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
You might find Gradient Thief handy if you''re creating backgrounds for maps and so on. It''ll let you "steal" a gradient from an existing image. Imagine grabbing select pixels from a sunset to create a sunset gradient without clouds. It''s free...

http://www.kerlinsoftworks.com

And if you''re looking to upgrade from MSPaint, get PaintShopPro...good product with a low price tag. You could probably even find an older version free on a magazine somewhere.

Also: 3D World Magazine out of the UK often puts older versions of commercial software on their coverdisc. US$12 can get you an older version of Poser a couple issues back.

You can make good stuff with MS Paint once you understand what it can do and use what you got. I dont know how to post pics here if i did id show you a couple of simple things I''ve done. um can someone tell me how to put a pic in a reply. FAQ didnt say, anyways it takes practice and a LOT of patience to get colors to do what you want. I''ll post again as soon as I know how to put up a pic.
ill show you a few things ive done on my site... (even though its not complete yet) i should have some stuff up and running in the next couple of days... all my sprites are colored in MS paint.

www.neonstar.net/st0ven/index.htm
quote:Original post by TechnoHydra
You can make good stuff with MS Paint once you understand what it can do and use what you got. I dont know how to post pics here if i did id show you a couple of simple things I''ve done. um can someone tell me how to put a pic in a reply. FAQ didnt say, anyways it takes practice and a LOT of patience to get colors to do what you want. I''ll post again as soon as I know how to put up a pic.

upload the image to some free hosting place like geocities, then just put an html img tag in your text.

Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Shoot Pixels Not People

Yeah I know they aren't great but I can do this much and I haven't really tried to finish them. If I put more time in them they'd be better. You can see from these that it can be done without too much work.
And Drakonite thx for the help.

Edited by - TechnoHydra on August 8, 2001 1:38:37 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement