Sign in to follow this  
netsuvi

How to distribute a game?

netsuvi    100
Hi I am an independent developer. Means i can do what i want. I am planning to make a small game for the desktop platform Win,Mac,Linux. Doing it means planning ,analysis, software design, programming and so on to develop a game. So before spending hours in programming and paying people for making nice graphics I have to know how to distribute a game. Ok, I can make a website for the game, but then nobody visit it because nobody knows about it. So how to distribute a game? Are there any distributes or publishers that I could contact? Is there another option to it? How much does it cost in hours or money to make a game known to games?

Tom Sloper    16062
Hello Nets, you wrote:
>before spending hours in programming and paying people for making nice graphics I have to know how to distribute a game.

It's smart of you to want to have your business plan straight first.

>how to distribute a game?

You should read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/article60.htm and you should read the many other threads on this forum where others have asked this same question. At the bottom of this forum you should click the 2 where you see Page: 1 2 »» and at the top of this forum where it says "Show topics from last 20 days," use the pulldown menu and select "Show all topics."

>Are there any distributes or publishers that I could contact?

Yes.

>Is there another option to it?

Not sure what you are asking.

>How much does it cost in hours or money to make a game

Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/finances.htm

>known to games?

What? (^_^)

netsuvi    100
Hi slops

actually i read through many of you articles. But not Nr 60 somehow I missed that.
Also I ready trough some of the threads to. But os far I missed the point where to start.
Your article has the right stuff for me

2. Small PC game (of downloadable size) - or web game (playable in a browser)
d. Get it hosted on an established game portal where they'll promote it and earn you money (see section D below)
e. Get it hosted on a downloads site (see section E below)
f. Host your downloadable or web game on your own site (see section F below)

That fits. Thanks a lot
If you known any good forum post, please let me know.

Cheers
Suvi

P.S. I meant cost for making a game known to gamers? (some letter where missing there.)

smjones    150
Quote:

I just lost interest in helping you any further.

Wow, honest perhaps but definitely tactless. Makes me want to hurry and go read your article. ..... Not! ;)

Steve

netsuvi    100
he is probably a bit upset by people like me, that don't read through the whole forum before asking a question. Understandable, if it happens often. However this is truly out of topic now.

I read the articles, but there are not the way that you can start doing something rightaway. That's why i asked the question here.