• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
netsuvi

How to distribute a game?

This topic is 3102 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I am an independent developer. Means i can do what i want. I am planning to make a small game for the desktop platform Win,Mac,Linux. Doing it means planning ,analysis, software design, programming and so on to develop a game. So before spending hours in programming and paying people for making nice graphics I have to know how to distribute a game. Ok, I can make a website for the game, but then nobody visit it because nobody knows about it. So how to distribute a game? Are there any distributes or publishers that I could contact? Is there another option to it? How much does it cost in hours or money to make a game known to games?

Advertisement
Hello Nets, you wrote:
>before spending hours in programming and paying people for making nice graphics I have to know how to distribute a game.

It's smart of you to want to have your business plan straight first.

>how to distribute a game?

You should read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/article60.htm and you should read the many other threads on this forum where others have asked this same question. At the bottom of this forum you should click the 2 where you see Page: 1 2 »» and at the top of this forum where it says "Show topics from last 20 days," use the pulldown menu and select "Show all topics."

>Are there any distributes or publishers that I could contact?

Yes.

>Is there another option to it?

Not sure what you are asking.

>How much does it cost in hours or money to make a game

Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/finances.htm

>known to games?

What? (^_^)

Hi slops

actually i read through many of you articles. But not Nr 60 somehow I missed that.
Also I ready trough some of the threads to. But os far I missed the point where to start.
Your article has the right stuff for me

2. Small PC game (of downloadable size) - or web game (playable in a browser)
d. Get it hosted on an established game portal where they'll promote it and earn you money (see section D below)
e. Get it hosted on a downloads site (see section E below)
f. Host your downloadable or web game on your own site (see section F below)

That fits. Thanks a lot
If you known any good forum post, please let me know.

Cheers
Suvi

P.S. I meant cost for making a game known to gamers? (some letter where missing there.)

he is probably a bit upset by people like me, that don't read through the whole forum before asking a question. Understandable, if it happens often. However this is truly out of topic now.

I read the articles, but there are not the way that you can start doing something rightaway. That's why i asked the question here.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!