Sign in to follow this  
psych2010

Need SDK for steering wheel

psych2010    100
Hello everybody, new user here. I work a major university and we are trying to connect a gaming style steering wheel to a computer to build traffic psychology experiments. We currently have a Driving Force GT Logitech gaming wheel, but need the Software Developers Kit. We've contacted Logitech and they claim that there might be one in the box, but there is not. I'm wondering if one exists or not. Does anyone know? Does someone know a wheel better suited to what we need for custom projects?

Promit    13246
DirectInput should be able to interact with that wheel, I imagine. Just grab the latest DirectX SDK and see if the samples can interact with it.

psych2010    100
Thank you for your reply.
Can you offer more details? We have some computer competent people here but I'm wondering how much resources it would take to get this up and running.
Is DirectInput free?
Does it take a lot of programming to get it started?
Is it a one size fits all deal?

Flimflam    665
DirectInput (DirectX in general) is free.

If you're just using the DirectInput portion, it won't take much to get started and use. There's some setup involved obviously finding and initializing the controller, but it's nothing too far out there.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by one-size-fits-all. Do you mean different controllers will all work? If so then yes; DirectInput will use any game controller that Windows identifies as such.

juanibarral    100
Hi,

I am currently in Tokyo, Japan doing an internship and I am doing something similar. We have here a G27 logitech steering wheel and I am developing a controller component to use in OpenSim (A 3D Application server to create virtual environments) I am using the Logitech SDK that comes with the drivers. If you need it, you can tell me and I will send you a copy of the SDK.

Best Regards!!

blackbird04217    144
The driving force is a decent wheel. The Logitch G25 or newer G27 have a few more options such as the H-shifter; which would be useful if you are running your traffic simulations in a car with a standard/manual transmission. Otherwise if you are targeting automatic transmissions I would say the driving force will do well.

I don't see why you would need to use the Logitech SDK for such thing. DirectInput as others have suggested allow you to get all the information from the wheel - and it will work with other wheels as well so you won't force your client into using a Logitech wheel.

For the setup you just need to have an Input::Initialize() function get a DirectInput device which you will proceed to setup a few options. Then you send in a callback function, that will allow DirectInput to iterate over all the controllers connected and you can find the steering wheel. It will be the first thing into the callback -IF you only have 1 wheel and no other controllers attached; joysticks, gamepads or other peripheral devices... Also in the Logitech settings there is an option for the controller to be specified as device 0. But I am likely over complicating things for you. Just know that this callback is called for every connected device - it allows you to handle more than one controller if needed/desired. So two gamepads could be used in a multiplayer game...

Beyond that you just make some calls that update the state so you know what is happening to the wheel.

DirectInput is free, and works with all sorts of controllers but will do everything you need for a steering wheel- including force feedback.

Good luck and happy programming.