What skillset would I need for Unity or Torque?

Started by
5 comments, last by BLiTZWiNG 14 years, 2 months ago
I've narrowed it down to Unity or Torque for what I'd like to concentrate on but I was hoping for someone to tell me what skillset it is required. I can program (mostly business but learning to be diverse) in java, c#, etc. I understand principles enough that it really shouldn't matter the language or script. I can create models in truespace to some degree (ok but learning.) I would like to make 2d and 3d games. I know that is vague. Thank you for any help.
Advertisement
To be honest, the best way would be to get Unity and try it out. You'll figure out what you need pretty quickly by trying out one of the tutorials on their site.
unity has a free version for non commercial use here
https://store.unity3d.com/shop/

I have been looking at it too but I on the other hand have only been programming for a few weeks and need to learn the principles of c++ before I even start playing with it :(

have fun
David
Don't touch Torque or trueSpace with a 10 foot pole.
Quote:Original post by Daaark
Don't touch Torque or trueSpace with a 10 foot pole.

Can you elaborate? I have no preference. Just curious.

trueSpace is dead, and it was poorly designed ever since the first version. The 7.6 versions takes the cake. It's actually 2 versions running in one. The broken, unfinished 7.6, and the 6.x version is running there too as a giant plugin so you can fill in all the functionality holes.

All the standard modeling commands are broken or implemented in weird ways that don't make sense. Then when you try to bring it up on the forums, you only ever get the marketing rep who doesn't know **** all about modeling writing paragraphs of bullshit.

They basically merged 2 broken programs together to make 7.6, and 2 wrongs obviously didn't make a right. Microsoft bought up the company and offered the program for free (I guess so XNA and their mapping software users would have access to free content creation tools), but when they saw a POS the program was, they just let it die.

It's a dead end and a waste of time.

---

Unity is a great little engine with a long proven track record, and a great, helpful user base. Well documented and very flexible.

Torque is a broken down, outdated, badly documented, piece of junk, and has apparently stayed that way for ten years.
TorqueX3D is very underdone and you need to do a lot of work, but you get the source. I'd recommend you try Unity first and see if you can get done what you want with that before thinking of TorqueX. Unity can also load in blender files without effort on your part.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement