• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MtSMox

Curvature of a Spline

This topic is 3051 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, While doing research on the subjects of splines (cubic b-splines with uniform knots in my case), I found the following posts on calculating the curvature of a spline. Spline Radius of Curvature
Quote:
K(t) = Length(Cross(X'(t),X"(t)))/pow(Length(X'(t)),3)
Curvature of a Bezier *SOLVED*
Quote:
dT/ds = (v' / |v|^2) - (v * (v.v') / |v|^4)
I also found the first equation on http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Curvature.html That was the first equation I tried, but it gave weird results. Most of the time it showed promissing results, but it looked like it was not really working. It kinda looks like it is dT/dt instead of dT/ds, as it gives high values were the curve isn't changing that much. The second equation works better, but I'm not sure if it is correct, since I can't seem to produce the same equation following the steps taken in that thread. It's a bit hard to describe the differences, because the problem only becomes evident when you apply the equation on a complete curve to test if is working. I'll look if I can generate a rendering of the outcome to make it clear. So my first question is: what is the difference between the two equations? And the second question: Why wouldn't the first one work? Could it be a problem with my implementation? Or does the equation require a spline parameterized to arc length (mine isn't right now, but this doesn't seem to stop equation 2). Hope somebody can help me clearify this. Thanks, Joren [EDIT] Of course it turns out it's just a bug in my code that made the difference. I devided by |X''|^3 instead of |X'|^3 I would still like to know if equation 2 is correct. As I can only get to something like this: dT/ds = (v'*|v| - |v|'*v)/|v|3 But I don't really know what |v|' is. All I could think of that |v|' might be rewritten as: d|v|/dt = d|v|/ds * ds/dt = 1 * ds/dt = |v| but I don't know if this is correct as this doesn't lead to equation 2. I assume d|v|/ds is 1 as I want constant speed for arc length, but don't know if this is valid. I do like equation 2 better as it returns a vector and for equation 1 I don't know how to get the direction of the curve. Joren [Edited by - MtSMox on February 12, 2010 5:03:58 PM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!