Givens: An ellipse, a line and...

Started by
18 comments, last by alvaro 14 years, 2 months ago
Givens: An ellipse, a line and a point on it. Question: Find a position for ellipse so it touches the point and doesn’t cross the line. (Preferably pseudo code style solution) Thanks,
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Eric_89
Givens: An ellipse, a line and a point on it.
Question: Find a position for ellipse so it touches the point and doesn’t cross the line.
(Preferably pseudo code style solution)
Thanks,
What problem are you trying to solve exactly? Can you give us some information about the context?
Quote:What problem are you trying to solve exactly? Can you give us some information about the context?

I wrote the simplified version of problem.
The original question is: we have a circle and an ellipse. Find positions of ellipse so it touches the circle but not crossing it. (and no rotations)

So for example: If we have teta an angle of circle. where would be the ellipse?
Had you tried using a sheet of paper and a pen to solve the problem before you asked us to give you pseudo code?
Quote:What problem are you trying to solve exactly? Can you give us some information about the context?

The original question is: we have a circle and an ellipse. Find positions of ellipse so it touches the circle but not crossing it. (and no rotations)

Is this a homework problem? If so, be sure to check the forum FAQ (specifically what it has to say about asking homework questions on the forums).
Quote:Original post by szecs
Had you tried using a sheet of paper and a pen to solve the problem before you asked us to give you pseudo code?

yes.. but I'm a little confused..
Quote:Original post by jyk

Is this a homework problem? If so, be sure to check the forum FAQ (specifically what it has to say about asking homework questions on the forums).

no its not homework.. what kind of homework is that??
(so if someone writes a clean question.. y think its homework? would y rather I write here a full page of my problems in geometries of my game?)
Try to look into the attributes of ellipses (Wiki will help).
But you can use the equations of the shapes: the equations, and the first derivates (tangent) should be equal at that point.
Quote:Original post by szecs
Try to look into the attributes of ellipses (Wiki will help).
But you can use the equations of the shapes: the equations, and the first derivates (tangent) should be equal at that point.

yes.. but how do we know at which point we should get tangent?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement