Sign in to follow this  
GhostDogStudio

Heat maps

Does anyone have any good resources for explaining how to generating heat maps? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_map Bonus points for pseudo or C# code. I've sifting through a lot of sites from google that discuss topological implications and click maps, but haven't found any that tie the graphical representation into event systems. Meaning, I have the event and a location, how do I color the image in the appropriate manner?

I made a Heat Map generator in Java a long time ago, and I am unsure that it still works, and it is a mess, but you can take a look at it.

http://code.google.com/p/gameheatmap/

Every time an event happens at a location, you increment a counter for that location.
When you want to display those counters graphically, you first normalize the data:
* Find the minimum and maximum counter values for all locations
* for each counter, counter = (counter-min)/(max-min)
Now you've got a value for each location in the 0-1 range

Using an interpolation function you can build a gradient(e.g. linear interpolation):
color lerp( color a, color b, float fraction )
{ return (1-fraction)*a + fraction*b; }
For a two colour gradient, you feed in your normalised counter values and your two colours.

For a three colour gradient you can partition the range and scale each partition back into the 0-1 range for interpolation. e.g. for a green->blue->red gradient:
if( counter < 0.5 )
display = lerp( green, blue, counter*2 );
else
display = lerp( blue, red, (counter-0.5)*2 );

Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
Every time an event happens at a location, you increment a counter for that location.
When you want to display those counters graphically, you first normalize the data:
* Find the minimum and maximum counter values for all locations
Now you've got a value for each location in the 0-1 range

Using an interpolation function you can build a gradient(e.g. linear interpolation):
color lerp( color a, color b, float fraction )
{ return (1-fraction)*a + fraction*b; }
For a two colour gradient, you feed in your normalised counter values and your two colours.

For a three colour gradient you can partition the range and scale each partition back into the 0-1 range for interpolation. e.g. for a green->blue->red gradient:
if( counter < 0.5 )
display = lerp( green, blue, counter*2 );
else
display = lerp( blue, red, (counter-0.5)*2 );

I see. Almost like how fractals have colors associated with a fixed range of values. I guess fall offs will occur naturally depending on the events. I'm worried about certain locations of the map with just a red dot and no fall off. But if that's the frequency of events then I guess the representation would be accurate. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Original post by GhostDogStudioI guess fall offs will occur naturally depending on the events. I'm worried about certain locations of the map with just a red dot and no fall off.

If that's a concern, you can, instead of incrementing just one pixel, add a several-pixel-radius smooth "bump" to your map whenever there's an event. E.g.,

w(r) = (1 - r^2/R^2)^2 if r < R; 0 if r >= R.

where r is the distance of a pixel in your map from the event and R is the desired bump radius.

This is mathematically equivalent to showing a blurred version of your map.

Quote:

but you need to be careful, sometimes peaks can screw up the whole scale (e.g. the spawn point in an multiplayer game would be the "hottest" place. far more than any other. so you might want to ignore peaks, e.g. processing some median filter over the data.