SQL softwares?

Started by
5 comments, last by Cromulent 14 years, 2 months ago
I'd like to use MySQL, but I don't really want to pay for the license or open source my game. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other free SQL database software that performs well. I'd be interacting with the database about every 30 seconds for each of my games region servers to take a snapshot of all player/monster/world data. I don't know for sure yet but I'm guessing I'll have about 60 different regions.
Advertisement
I believe MySQL is licensed with a linking exception, meaning you don't have to "open source your game" to use it (as long as you don't modify it).
PostgreSQL is released under the BSD license, which is about as "free" as you can get.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
If you only want a local database without server, you could also look at SQLite.
Are you using MySQL on the client, or on the server?
The GPL generally requires you to supply source code with any shipment of binaries that link against GPL code.
If you only use MySQL on the server, and you don't ship the binaries anywhere, then, according to the GPL (at least version 2 -- haven't read up on 3 yet), you don't need to ship your source to anyone.

That being said, PostgreSQL and SQLite are also great packages; PostgreSQL as a slightly more "enterprisey" database (nested transaction support, etc), and SQLite as the simplest, lightest solution to structured storage you can find. If you want to use SQL in the client, I would recommend SQLite.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I'd be using it only server side I think. I'd want to use it just between my characters/login and region servers. I'd also need to connect to it through a browser for account management.

So I think just server side.

I might just use PostgreSQL to avoid any possible unforseen problems though.
Personally I find PostgreSQL to be a much nicer database system to work with than MySQL.

I've never really had the chance to use a commercial database product (other than a very brief encounter with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Dev edition) but it seems to support just about everything you could want with decent documentation to boot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement