Animation in Turn-Based Games

Started by
2 comments, last by fowl mouth 14 years, 2 months ago
Hi guys, So I've been wondering about this for a long time. If you've ever played the type of games like Final Fantasy Tactics and most specially, Super Robot Wars then you'll probably know what I'm talking about. Before anything else, here's a short clip of SRW.
Alright, Super Robot Wars is a turn-based strategy game which shows Animated fighting robots upon commencing an attack. I was wondering how the sequence of animations are made, and how are they timed so the unit being attacked reacts timely (as if being hurted). In SRW, robot units has multiple attacks and multiple animations for those attacks, how are these attacks stored/tracked and how does the engine know which sequence of animation is gonna be pulled off? I'm just asking for "any idea" of how this is done. Maybe you've done something like this before. Fighthing games are the closests thing I could think of but I don't know how specific moves are done in that type of game too. I would appreciate your inputs to satisfy my burning curiosity. Thanks!
We should never stop learning...
Advertisement
The game most likely stores additional information along with the animation to tell the combat system when certain events take place. For instance, it might store which frame numbers damage is dealt on, or when a sound is played, or any number of other things. This is how games I've worked on have tied special effects like sounds, decals, etc., to animation.
Thanks, that was very informative. Can these information be stored in a file? I'd appreciate if you could provide me a visualization of how it may look like. Thanks very much and I greatly appreciate your inputs!
We should never stop learning...
Quote:Original post by armond
Thanks, that was very informative. Can these information be stored in a file? I'd appreciate if you could provide me a visualization of how it may look like. Thanks very much and I greatly appreciate your inputs!

I would assume it would be stored in an array or hash when you first load the images? You could probably define the animation sequences in a file to load from though. Like frames 1-10 are attacking animations, 11-20 are being damaged animations, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement