Getting started on C# network programming

Started by
0 comments, last by Telastyn 14 years, 2 months ago
I'm interested in creating network-based C# applications. I would like to create programs that can connect to websites and other services, send data if necessary, receive data, etc. I did some research and found out that there are two .NET Framework namespaces that deal with network programming: System.Net and System.Net.Sockets; Are those what I need to begin? If so, I already did some Google searches for some tutorials. However I can't be sure that they are up-to-date let alone accurate, because most of them were written years ago. Can someone recommend me a more current and reliable resource to learn C# network programming from? Also can you tell me about the capabilities of this? What are the limits? Am I restricted to only using these libraries or can I also use other network libraries like Twisted as an alternative solution?
Advertisement
Enh, sort of?

Sockets can be learned at Beej's Guide to Socket Programming. It's not C# specific, but sockets are decades old, and behave (pretty much) the same way everywhere. That said, socket programming is fairly low level, and not particularly interesting.

Web services are not in those namespaces, and are dead simple to setup in C# if you're just looking to get data from here to there (via web service). WCF is also a keyword to search.

As with all things, you can (and should) pick up external libraries if they help you get stuff done.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement