Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This topic is 5980 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

alright, this is a really stupid question,
ill have to say it all depends, i made a game once called ''this is how we keep an idiot busy for a few hours'', which is just a empty form with a button says click here, and every time when you move your cursor close to button, it moves to a different coordinate, it was alot of fun and only took me 10min to do it. but right now im working on an internet based mutiplayer real time strategy game, and i cant find a single person in my school to work with me, so im doing everything myself. it''s been over a month now, and i still haven''t nailed the chat room, i guess it''s going to take a few more months to get it finished, that is if i don''t go insane by then

"Why does no body answer?" isn''t it the question we are all asking ourselves?

your question is not really clear, do you mean how much it takes to write a game? or do you mean how long it takes if you know nothing about C++ and spect to learn it on the way of writting Starcraft II? (darn Blizzard, finish up Warcraft III soon so you get to work on the sequel we all want the MOST!!!) sorry for that.

if it is the first one, then it depends on what kind of game you are coding, a pong clone took me about 5 commited days knowing C/C++ but not much game programming theory (colision detection is a pain if you dont even know the term), the game I am codding right now is an Isometric CRPG I started back in february, and now I am on the script engine stage, and doing some refactoring on the map engine could be more developed but by myself, and having to work to eat, it gets stalled at times.

if it is the secound one, I know you perhaps want to make a game and that is your goal, but first you should fill the pre requisites, learn C/C++, make an app or two first, then make small games, and then go for something slightly bigger, and from there, bigger, and bigger.

aeleneski,

I didn''t learn C++ for a while, but I learned C 1st (after I had already learned Basic)
Actually, my 1st program in Basic was a game (as many people''s were). It was a text adventure game.
And, my 1st C program (well, besides the learning progams found in the tutorial books) was also a game (a tron type game).

The question you should ask is not when your 1st learned C++, but when you first learned programming, and how long it took you to make a quality game (I don''t consider text adventures to be "Quality").

My opinion is, it will take you a long time from when you first learn how to program to when you can make a quality game. There is alot to learn and Understand (understanding is the key) which will only come with practice.

Nutts

Maybe because we don''t know what kind of game you are talking about, and thusly, how long it might take.

I started a CRPG in C++ three months ago, and have yet to complete the pre GUI elements. I expect my game to take a few years before i''m even mildly happy with it.

But then again, i''m doing a lot to my game most people only seem to talk about on this forum. No disrespect guys, but i haven''t seen an interesting CRPG around. Especially with all the excellent writing on the subject that i found on this very forum.

Please somebody correct me...
zTn