Sign in to follow this  
Ender1618

Updating 8-bit greyscale textures quickly

Ender1618    254
Using DirectX 9... I have rather large 8-bit per pixel greyscale image (720x512) being produced at ~60hz by a camera, and I need to update a texture as efficiently as possible with it, and render at near vsync rate. What i have done in the past is allocate an ARGB texture, lock it when a new image is available and essentially copy pixel by pixel my 8-bit luminance value into the r, g, and b channels, this works. But what i really want to do is allocate the texture as a D3DFMT_L8. This would cut down on the CPU -> GPU transfer time and reduce the amount of time I have the texture locked (which happens on the render thread) because i have less bytes to write. But if I create the texture as a D3DFMT_L8, when I lock it it appears the memory is laid out as ARGB image which I don't want. Has anyone had an experience with using D3DFMT_L8, and how to efficiently update/write to it? [Edited by - Ender1618 on February 11, 2010 2:08:13 PM]

musawirali    199
what do you mean when you "lock it it appears the memory is laid out in ARGB"? When you lock it all you get is a sysmem pointer and the surface pitch. How are you determining this layout? If you are accessing this texture in a pixel shader, your 8bit value should be in the R channel, and on some hardware/driver, the same value is replicated in all 4 channels.

Are you dumping this texture to a file after lock/filling it, and then opening it up with some image viewer? Because then that would indicate that the problem is with the image viewer and not the image itself.