Sign in to follow this  
NDIR

surface normals

Hey all, I have the following problem. I read triangles from a file. The structure of the file is similar to this: vertices: x1,y1,z1 x2,y2,z2 x3,y3,z3 . . . triangle idices: ("pointers" into vertex array) a,b,c d,e,f ... Now i'd like to calculate surface normals for this triangles to have a nicely lit object. But the problem is that some triangles are CW and some CCW. So some normals point in wrong direction. How would i go about fixing this? "Equalizing" normals across the surface of the object? Thanks!

Another way to do it would be to cast a ray from the center (well, the center isn't particularly important, but it gives you a starting point) of every polygon out to infinity in any direction. Count the number of OTHER polygons it hits. If it hits an even number of polygons, the normal should be in on the same side of the polygon as the ray. This only works for closed surfaces.

Yes, i know this approach. But the problem is that some meshes have holes in them so this would not be a good way of calculating normals. And i don't thing it would be faster than what i have now where i calculate normals for 300.000 triangles in ~~1sec.