• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sammie22

Implementing MVC Questions

This topic is 3053 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have done quite a bit of searching here, and other places in the web, looking for actual implementation examples of MVC game design. I found this article very useful for visualizing for a high level design: http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20050414/rouwe_01.shtml .. But, while I have learned a lot conceptually, I am struggling turning it into an actual program. I want to learn MVC to decouple the rendering, model, input, logic, etc to ease the rafactoring pain in my projects. I came up with a simple game project to practice MVC (I am sure MVC is overkill for it and not necessary, but I wanted to learn in a simple manner). The project contains simple 3d primitives for graphics, and no animation. Using the above link as my template, I have built my Model out as I typically do: EntityBase <- Non-MovingGameObjects EntityBase <- MovingEntityBase <- MovingEntityGameObjects I created a EntityManager to contain the EntityObjects, and provided Add(), Remove(), and Update() interfaces. I am comfortable with this setup and feel it will work fine for this project. But now I have reached a bit of a hurdle in my understanding of the implementation. I am trying to build out the representation piece, and am not quite sure how to proceed. I was thinking of something like: RepresentationBase <- Non-EntityGameObjects (i.e. background) RepresentationBase <- EntityRepresentationBase <- EntityRepresentationGameObjects In this setup, I am unclear as to what to pass to the EntityRepresentationGameObjects, nor how exactly to structure it. Do I provide a pointer to the EntityGameObject in the representation class to get position information? Or do I use a messaging system? How do I implement the actual shapes of the objects into the representation class? Use another class to represent the shape and have a pointer to that in the representation class? Any help / advice, or actual implementation examples, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brad Edit: If this question seems to vague or unclear and you need more info, please let me know and I will provide it as best I can. [Edited by - Sammie22 on February 12, 2010 1:41:02 AM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!