• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DirectX Glitchy Graphics

This topic is 2928 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all. So, I've been working on a 3d pong clone in DirectX 10, and I've been battling a mean glitch. For some reason, anything that intersects with anything else seems to overlap in seemingly random places. If you look at the linked screen shot below, there is a jagged pattern to the quad walls where they overlap, but the ball that is in the cube is seemingly completely random. I noticed it overlaps less when the objects are closer to the camera, and gets awful when they are far away. I can post any code requested, but I have no idea where to start. Here is a screen capture from the game. http://mynameismatt.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/glitch.jpg Also, here is my Depth Buffer: depthStencilDesc.Width = 1024; depthStencilDesc.Height = 768 depthStencilDesc.MipLevels = 1; depthStencilDesc.ArraySize = 1; depthStencilDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_D24_UNORM_S8_UINT; depthStencilDesc.SampleDesc.Count = 1; depthStencilDesc.SampleDesc.Quality = 0; depthStencilDesc.Usage = D3D10_USAGE_DEFAULT; depthStencilDesc.BindFlags = D3D10_BIND_DEPTH_STENCIL; depthStencilDesc.CPUAccessFlags = 0; depthStencilDesc.MiscFlags = 0; And I am sure to clear it each time. Not sure if that's relevant.

Advertisement
Well, it was
Z-Near: 0.0001f;
& Z-Far: 1000.0f;

So, I changed it to 0.1f & 100.0f. That cleared it up immediately.
Thank you very much!! I didn't know that had anything to do with it.

I very very much appreciate it.

The problem you were having is commonly known as z-fighting. It's caused by a lack of precision in the depth buffer, which is generally a symptom of your near/far range being too far apart, as MJP has already pointed out.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement