xna dynamic engine creation

Started by
1 comment, last by DriveByBaptism 14 years, 2 months ago
At uni I am currently undertaking my years intergrated project (combining both game designers and programmers to create one game). For my first hand I have to create a game engine that can read a level from a text file and load all corrosponding sprites/data/etc. The problem is I have never done anything remotely like this and neither has my programming partner. Does anyone know of anywhere where I can do a tutorial that can help me how to do this? What I have do is a kin to the XNA platformer but I'm not allowed to use that code (instant fail). I've tried Nick Gravelyns tile engine for XNA but it wont complile on my computer for an error I can't understand. Could someone please help me in how to get this completed?
Advertisement
Mhn...what you need is text file parsing (pretty basic routine you do at first year of any IT course (or well being in C# you can even skip that and use XML/Binary Serializing :P) :P) and content loading.
I don't know what's the situation atm is with XNA, but from what I remember you have to use the content pipeline to load data in the "official" way so the data is already prepared for you to be loaded in 1 rows of code...

I don't really understand what meaning there can be of a tutorial that explain roughly 20-25 rows of code (for parsing a file) and 2-3 rows per resource that you need to write for your assignment. Especially to a game developer doing a academic degree (what i assume).

(I don't know what's the policy for assignments here on gamedev...:P)
Hey,

Alas whilst that may be taught on the first year I entered my course straight into second year after completing a college course. During the college course my programming lecturer was literally only a week a head of us when he was teaching. I mean he was reading tutorial books and then re-iterating it back to us. So it was a whole year learning about for loops, ints etc

Then during my first semester at uni the pgramming module for c# was pretty much the exact same. Learning about ints, loops etc. The only difference is the tutor knew what he was on about. But only just.

By no means am i asking, or wanting, anyone to do my work for me. Merely all I ask is to be pointed in the right direction with a few examples I can sence of. So whilst I understand the jistr of what you're saying. I don't know how to impliment it.

Though I suppose that's why the Irish invented Google.

If you can think of anything else that can help me, or good tutorials, please let me know.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement