Sign in to follow this  
kuramayoko10

Ambitious Project

kuramayoko10    390
Hello everyone, I am a "rookie" programmer, being that I have already made contact with C and a little of C++ but it is just on this semester that I will start on college for Computer Science! My friends and I are wanting to develop quite of an ambitious game so that everyone can enhance their abilities and learn new stuff. I am the programmer, we have two 2D artists, one game designer and co-programmer, and one music editor! I want to know a few things so that I can boost up my studies on C/C++ and get the game going so that everyone can start working too! The game is a 2D RPG based on a lot of systems (besides combat, quest,...) that will really make the user feel as it is an alternate life of his on a medieval world! My questions are: - Where can I find a good and free 2D core/graphics/.. engine? (I have already checked GameDevWiki but until now every one that I found didn't work right)(the engine could be used just as reference...) - What is the best combination of programming language and graphics API for this type of game? (I am currently working with C/C++ and SDL) - Using the above, is it possible to run the finished product without problems on Windows, Mac and Linux? - Is it possible to make a full RPG and the transform "easily" into a MMO? - What do you guys recommend that I can look for to ease the development of this type of game? I will think in more question later, Thanks in advance, Gui

Antheus    2409
Quote:
Original post by kuramayoko10

- Is it possible to make a full RPG and the transform "easily" into a MMO?

No, it needs to be designed from ground up for multipleayer.

Quote:
- What do you guys recommend that I can look for to ease the development of this type of game?

C# and XNA.