• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kuramayoko10

Ambitious Project

This topic is 3051 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, I am a "rookie" programmer, being that I have already made contact with C and a little of C++ but it is just on this semester that I will start on college for Computer Science! My friends and I are wanting to develop quite of an ambitious game so that everyone can enhance their abilities and learn new stuff. I am the programmer, we have two 2D artists, one game designer and co-programmer, and one music editor! I want to know a few things so that I can boost up my studies on C/C++ and get the game going so that everyone can start working too! The game is a 2D RPG based on a lot of systems (besides combat, quest,...) that will really make the user feel as it is an alternate life of his on a medieval world! My questions are: - Where can I find a good and free 2D core/graphics/.. engine? (I have already checked GameDevWiki but until now every one that I found didn't work right)(the engine could be used just as reference...) - What is the best combination of programming language and graphics API for this type of game? (I am currently working with C/C++ and SDL) - Using the above, is it possible to run the finished product without problems on Windows, Mac and Linux? - Is it possible to make a full RPG and the transform "easily" into a MMO? - What do you guys recommend that I can look for to ease the development of this type of game? I will think in more question later, Thanks in advance, Gui

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by kuramayoko10

- Is it possible to make a full RPG and the transform "easily" into a MMO?

No, it needs to be designed from ground up for multipleayer.

Quote:
- What do you guys recommend that I can look for to ease the development of this type of game?

C# and XNA.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!